Chapala.com Webboard

Garafon water deliveries

Zeb

We suspect we are being cheated by our water provider.  I have the hand written receipts from the past year that I had him write.  I quit asking him to write deposits a while back, but now I am thinking this was a mistake.

The deposits had been 30 or 40 pesos per bottle and now he says 75 pesos.  The cost of the water itself 20 pesos per bottle, although it was 18 just a couple of deliveries ago.

I think he is making up the numbers.  We have been his customers for over two years. 

We need an alternate source.

I'd appreciate some feed back on this.  What are people paying for deposits and water deliveries?

We have a UV water system so we don't use garafons.  However, in the past we rented homes here with garafons and all we've ever done is swap out empties for full ones.  Maybe the landlord had a deposit on the original garafons (???) but week to week we were only charged 20 pesos per each full one.  They took as many empties as we asked for full ones.  And it seems to me we used whatever agua truck that was on the street....how would they even know if there was a deposit and with whom??

Are you not turning in your empties with each new full one?

3 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

We have a UV water system so we don't use garafons.  However, in the past we rented homes here with garafons and all we've ever done is swap out empties for full ones.  Maybe the landlord had a deposit on the original garafons (???) but week to week we were only charged 20 pesos per each full one.  They took as many empties as we asked for full ones.  And it seems to me we used whatever agua truck that was on the street....how would they even know if there was a deposit and with whom??

Are you not turning in your empties with each new full one?

Yes.  He picks up the empties and we get full ones. 

58 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

And you pay a new deposit for every new full one he delivers?  

No.  It's just that the last time, he seemed to be charging more for the water, so the deposit then came into question and then Today, he said it was a 75 pesos deposit for new bottles.  That would make each bottle 95 pesos.  The deposit amount just keeps going up by large amounts.

Okay, so you buy a bottle one time only; that is your "deposit" at 60 or 70p, depending where you buy it. After that, just like a gas cylinder, you only pay for the refill, not the container. 20 per refill seems to better than several of the delivery companies with the big names.

I pay 18 to get refills at Pirineo's in Riberas; 19 if they deliver. And if you buy a new one, the first fill is included at 70p.

We've been here for 10 years and I don't think we have ever paid a deposit. We just turn in the old bottles and get new ones. When we move, we schlep the bottles. Even when we were going to Soriana or Oxxo, before I convinced husband that delivery just made sense, we turned in an empty bottle and bought a new one.

Katya does a great job of delivering. Call them and find out who delivers to your area.

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

Okay, so you buy a bottle one time only; that is your "deposit" at 60 or 70p, depending where you buy it. After that, just like a gas cylinder, you only pay for the refill, not the container. 20 per refill seems to better than several of the delivery companies with the big names.

I pay 18 to get refills at Pirineo's in Riberas; 19 if they deliver. And if you buy a new one, the first fill is included at 70p.

We by many bottles at once.  I understand how it works.  The problem I was having is feeling that our delivery person keeps changing the numbers frequently.

28 minutes ago, Zeb said:

Both numbers, price and deposit. 

I am still trying to get this clear: are you saying you buy new garafons every time you get water? Because the price should always be the same for refills, and if it is not, then it would only be a peso or two, correct? I'm not sure if you are saying the seller is trying to confuse you by including bottle prices at the same time he is quoting refill prices. You said "We by (sic) many bottles at once..." Does this mean you buy many bottles, or many refills, at once? Are you in some kind of business where you constantly need new bottles?

You have to “buy” a bottle only if you do not have an empty one to turn in. Once you have an empty to turn in all you pay is for the water in the refill. When I moved into this house there were two bottles of water, one on the stand and an extra. The refill was 15 pesos two years ago and now it is 17. This is the simpliest household issue. I do not understand why this thread is so confusing, but it is. The price of water should not fluctuate nor should a customer with an empty bottle for each refill ever pay more than the refill cost. No one I know pays more than 20 pesos per bottle for home delivery.

On 3/1/2018 at 3:20 PM, ComputerGuy said:

<snip<  I pay 18 to get refills at Pirineo's in Riberas; 19 if they deliver. </snip>

Where is "Pirineo's in Riberas" ?

1 hour ago, Oatsie said:

Where is "Pirineo's in Riberas" ?

Across the street from "Mom's" restaraurant in Riberas, lakeside of carretera, in the mini-mall where Dr. Pinto and others are located. At least, that's where I see their sign when I go to physical therapy. (Ulloa)

On March 1, 2018 at 1:40 PM, Zeb said:

We need an alternate source.

I'd appreciate some feed back on this.  What are people paying for deposits and water deliveries?

Zeb, this is one of the most confusing threads I've ever seen here. Let's see if this works:

--NOBODY is paying for garafon deposits when they have an empty bottle to exchange, regardless of water provider. 

--The price you pay (if exchanging an empty bottle for a newly filled one) depends on the water provider, and should be the only amount you're paying.

Good luck.

Archived