Chapala.com Webboard

POUTINE PLACE BY THE LAKE

gringal

Had lunch there today on the outside patio.  Perfect weather for it and of course, there's the lake.

Poutine itself not a desirable choice for me, but I'd heard the fish n' chips was good, so ordered that. (110 pesos)  Spouse ordered the two fish tacos with garden salad (70 pesos).  Fish was excellent: not batter overkilled.  There were several dips, ranging from mild to hot, along with the traditional vinegar.  The two tacos had large chunks of fish, also just right, and the garden salad was a generous heap with a tasty dressing bottle.   We'll be back.

9 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

A loose interpretation for a dogfish. They are a jell of a lot better than basa.

I didn't get into its pedigree.  It was well prepared and tasty.  My fish expectations have lowered considerably since moving from a coastal CA town where you could buy 'em off the boat. B)

2 minutes ago, gringal said:

...where you could buy 'em off the boat. B)

The red snapper I saw Monday at the fish market just west of Superlake was fresher than anything I have seen past a wharf.

36 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

The red snapper I saw Monday at the fish market just west of Superlake was fresher than anything I have seen past a wharf.

The travel time between here and the coast renders that statement highly implausible, but they do have some well taken care of fish at that market.

1 hour ago, Willie said:

They told us it was shark.

If it's baby shark/dog fish then they have changed since moving from their location across from Super Lake.  When there they said it was basa.  In my experience basa is white and kind of mushy while baby shark/dog fish (cazon) is a little darker and firmer.

The fish in the fish and chips wasn't mushy, but it was white.  The fish tacos had a darker tone.

Should I be doing far more research into the details before suggesting that this was a good lunch in a pleasant setting?:D

1 minute ago, gringal said:

The fish in the fish and chips wasn't mushy, but it was white.  The fish tacos had a darker tone.

Should I be doing far more research into the details before suggesting that this was a good lunch in a pleasant setting?:D

Heck no! Let the picky eaters — I mean those with more refined palates — do their own research! That the fish was white and not mushy is enough for most people.

Archived