Chapala.com Webboard

Beware Puerta Arroyo

Toadstool

Recently my wife and I bought a new house in Puerta Arroyo. While we like the house, the salesman, uh, forgot to tell us that no telephone lines were available for it. Thus no telephone and no internet. Since my work depends on the internet, we have a house in which we cannot live. Since we have cloosed on the house, there is nothing we can do and management shows no interest in the matter. It is astonishing that what appears to be a reputable company would do this, bu it did. If you buy there, it would be wise to see the internet working before signing.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Mexico, there is no government regulation of real estate companies, and no training or licensing is required. One should never expect disclosure, as is required NoB. 

Yes, you could consider satellite, cable, or smart phone service options.

What are your neighbors doing?

It is the developper´s problem as well..They are selling houses with no telephone service and obviiously they forget to mention that..

There seem to be a shortage of lines right now. I was at Telmex recently and several people  who had moved recently did not have a phone line so beware anywhere..Do not assume anything ..

The developers of Puerto Arroyo have no obligation to obtain phone lines for the houses they build.  The realtor has a moral but no legal obligation to disclose that phone lines are not available currently.  Buyer beware everywhere in North America; but especially in Mexico where there are few consumer laws.  IMHO the OP did not perform due diligence before moving to Mexico as he should have understood that  phone lines are problematic at Lakeside and the non-existent legal obligations of realtors to disclose potential problems

23 minutes ago, Toadstool said:

Recently my wife and I bought a new house in Puerta Arroyo. While we like the house, the salesman, uh, forgot to tell us that no telephone lines were available for it. Thus no telephone and no internet. Since my work depends on the internet, we have a house in which we cannot live. Since we have cloosed on the house, there is nothing we can do and management shows no interest in the matter. It is astonishing that what appears to be a reputable company would do this, bu it did. If you buy there, it would be wise to see the internet working before signing.

Regardless of living or moving to Mexico,  I am surprised if your work depends on good internet you did not ask that question and if there was service to check its  speed etc

2 years ago we put or name on the Telmex list for phone/internet number as there were none currently available and about a month later we had a number. I would also suggest at least a weekly visit to their office to recheck the status of the application. I'm not sure my repeat visits helped but I ended up with a number friw.

Toadstool it’s your realtor, to whom you gave a list of ‘must haves’, that would be to blame.   Maybe some blame could go to the home inspector you hired to check put the home before you bought.  Lakeside raises a good point too about first checking.  No sense trying to lay blame better to be asking how to resolve the problem.   It’s not a unique position in which you find yourself.

To not have used a good realtor, to not have used a home inspector is akin to buying a car on your own in Guadalajara. 

I feel for the OP, and hope it's resolved soon. 

But meanwhile, let this be a cautionary tale for all potential newbies who have the notion that developers, real estate agents and others will behave in an ethical way.  I do remember the days in the U.S.A. when there were no laws compelling disclosure:  long gone.  In Mexico, you're on your own.  If you fall into an open hole in the ground, the attitude is "you shoulda been looking".

It is in a realtor's best interest to talk about features and amenities, including Internet. Don't for a moment think they are all hiding this. Point of fact, they have a major problem right now determining not so much the availability, but the speed in any given location. How do you find that out? If you are selling an existing home for a client, yes, ask, but guess how many homeowners have no idea how to check their Internet speed? I'll tell you: the vast majority.

Getting a phone line has been a problem since before we moved here 8+ years ago. We moved into Los Sabinos and it was the same problem then. Took us 3 weeks as we were a squeaky wheel. Our neighbors who moved in about the same time got a phone line 7 months after moving in. 

I cannot stress how important due diligence is. I would NEVER advise anyone to buy a home here before renting for at least 6 months to a year. During the time of renting, get out and ask questions. See a lawyer and speak to everyone you can. It should be a serious part time job to learn as much as you can about buying a home here.

32 minutes ago, bill_d said:

I see nothing unethical or immoral on the part of the sellers or their agents. They are not mind readers. 

So, if the buyers don't ask the right questions, they're SOL? PUH LEEZE! Considering that most real estate agents develop a client base that is populated by referrals for a job well done, then I'd say that SOL works both directions.

It's too late tonight, but I'm going to post a list of things that potential renters and/or buyers should ask. And, they should get the answers written and signed and dated by the agent.

Archived