Chapala.com Webboard

need new roof top water tanks

AlongTheWay

24 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

Many of the old tanks used asbestos reinforced cement. I don't how or where they get rid of them. Just be aware of the health risk.

Cement containing asbestos becomes an issue when the material is crushed or ground up and creates dust and is inhaled. If not demolished in the removal process, it can be repurposed or disposed of. What they do with it at a landfill is another question. I'd label it as asbestos for info when disposing. 

7 hours ago, zerbit said:

Cement containing asbestos becomes an issue when the material is crushed or ground up and creates dust and is inhaled. If not demolished in the removal process, it can be repurposed or disposed of. What they do with it at a landfill is another question. I'd label it as asbestos for info when disposing. 

Zerbit, you are totally right. People have this idea that asbestos is just highly dangerous no matter the application. It is the dry asbestos fibers being inhaled and lodging themselves in the lungs that is the danger. If asbestos is not disturbed, broken, or it is wet, it presents no danger. When trained asbestos removal crews work, they wet the asbestos down first so it cannot be breathed in.

On 2/27/2018 at 9:30 PM, mudgirl said:

Tinaco is the spelling. (TEEnako, not TENako, just in case anyone cares about pronouncing it correctly)

Mudgirl, I know you're emphasizing the pronunciation of "tee", but capitalization is usually reserved for the syllable where the stress falls on a word.  "tee-NAH-koh", for one.  "ah-hee-HEEK", for another.

11 hours ago, More Liana said:

Mudgirl, I know you're emphasizing the pronunciation of "tee", but capitalization is usually reserved for the syllable where the stress falls on a word.  "tee-NAH-koh", for one.  "ah-hee-HEEK", for another.

Yes, you're right, I was just trying to point out the pronunciation of the first syllable, not where the stress is. Actually the majority of Mexican Spanish words place equal stress on all syllables. It's one of the problems for us English speakers, we always want to stress at least one of the syllables. As well as the fact that an "i" has a long "eee" sound always- a short "i" sound like in the English word "bit" doesn't exist in Spanish.

4 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Yes, you're right, I was just trying to point out the pronunciation of the first syllable, not where the stress is. Actually the majority of Mexican Spanish words place equal stress on all syllables. It's one of the problems for us English speakers, we always want to stress at least one of the syllables. As well as the fact that an "i" has a long "eee" sound always- a short "i" sound like in the English word "bit" doesn't exist in Spanish.

This is quite a drift from a question about a water tank, but mudgirl and everyone, please read this link.  EVERY word in Spanish is stressed on one of its syllables.  There is no word in Spanish that does not have a real and necessary stress on one syllable.  Here are the rules.
https://www.enforex.com/language/word-stress.html

38 minutes ago, More Liana said:

This is quite a drift from a question about a water tank, but mudgirl and everyone, please read this link.  EVERY word in Spanish is stressed on one of its syllables.  There is no word in Spanish that does not have a real and necessary stress on one syllable.  Here are the rules.
https://www.enforex.com/language/word-stress.html

I stand corrected. Thank you. There are lots of Spanish words where the stress is quite evident, but many words do not stress a syllable as strongly as we do in English.

Archived