Chapala.com Webboard

vehicle legalization

Sammy

Three days in Laredo for a 2009 or 2010 NAFTA made vehicle with prices starting at $2500 US. 

Enrique Bautista email:  superimportaciones@yahoo.com

Also, enrique_bautista@yahoo.com

The website is:  www.superimportaciones.com.  Enrique's phone is 956-722-6476.  Cell - 956-645-8073.

Jose Bautista email:  jgbm60@hotmail.com 

He is located in Nuevo Laredo 2 blocks from Aduana. 

Enrique is at 2500 Pinder Ave., Laredo, TX 78040.

EDIT:  Yo1 has deleted his Post.... which is the one I am referring to below as being inaccurate. 

Of the two, I’d go with Sonia’s account of the process. Yes, it can be potentially challenging. The process will start with EXPORTING the vehicle from the US via Customs (which may take a day or two and is handled by the bonded Broker... if it is NOT, then run!), then IMPORTING it into Mexico. Yes it will cost quite a bit so make sure your vehicle is worth it to you. Mexican based brokers are just as good and maybe better.

But the idea that it will take a “month or two” is completely inaccurate. Drive it to the border with an appointment with a reliable Broker and plan on spending 2-4 days there before driving back. Remember that one must also then get the vehicle ‘registered’ in your home state which I presume is Jalisco... more cost. 

YMMV

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

Is the car US plated, or Canadian?  If Canadian, the process may be different, as it cannot be exported from the USA, as required by Mexico.  Catch-22?

Maybe Sonia knows.

Not necessary for Canadian cars with provincial registration.

I did a US plated vehicle in 2 days in Laredo. 1st day was the export by US customs. Which took about 20 minutes in the afternoon and was handled by my broker. 2nd day car taken by  broker to Aduana in the morning and ready at 2pm in Nuevo Laredo. So I spent 2 nights in Laredo. In Jalisco 2 hours to verify car and get sticker & plates

• Thanks 1

On 2/28/2018 at 5:08 PM, ajijic2 said:

Wha was your cost to import and did you pay any extra sales tax when lic the car.

“Mostlylost” will answer I’m sure, but remember that the cost to Import is not a fixed amount.... it varies with ?  Maybe the value of the vehicle.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for late response. I paid $2540US but you can get a quote by calling one of the brokers based in Laredo. No CCards accepted. I negotiated a small discount and the 4 day travel permit in the price. Once in Mexico you will have to register the car in whatever state your are in. Pay the current years registration and a onetime tax, for me it was a little over $7400MXP which I paid with ccard.

• 4 months later...

It will depend upon the manufacture of the vehicle, and if 2007 is still eligible. You will have to contact a broker to determine the eligibility, if it is a NAFTA car, as well as the cost to export it from the USA and import it to Mexico.

Then the fun begins.

Consider selling it in the USA, and buying another one in Mexico. It is much easier that way.

A 2007 vehicle is not too old to "Nationalize"... probably the correct word for your 'legalize', you’ll just pay a bit higher tax (rate) on the value.  

I have no idea what you might be talking about when you ask about a fine... a vehicle can either be Nationalized or it can't. To my knowledge there is no other process which includes a fine.

• Like 1

A reply from RickS on the subject of foreign vehicles in or out of Mexico can be considered the "Gold Standard" on this WebBoard.

Not every subject has a knowledgeable board member but this subject does.  You can probably take it to the bank.

However, as with almost anything in Mexico, if you search hard enough you will surely find someone who will give you the answer you hope to get and "for a small fee" will assure you it can be done.  Let the buyer beware.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 8/10/2018 at 2:32 PM, RickS said:

Awhh Shucks, Pappy.

All of us try to provide accurate info. Sometimes we do and sometimes it is a bit off, so let’s downgrade that ‘gold’ to maybe just ‘silver’.😎

But thanks for the vote of confidence.  

Back to "gold".  You're the man who's "been there and done that".

Many people ask for answers on a web board in the vain hope that they'll get one they like. 

As for "been there", it didn't take long to discover that the cost of keeping the car we had when applying for "permanente" status was in excess of what it was worth to us.   Sold it; bought new economy car suitable for narrow streets and tough parking situation.  Side benefit is cops quit following your foreign plated car hoping to find a violation. 

• Like 1

Another rumour yesterday, from a professional driver with a lifetime in Guadalajara, that AMLO, the new President of Mexico, is looking once again at an amnesty for foreign plated vehicles. This will be the fourth one. The idea is to get all these vehicles registered, and then get all the "stinkers" and heavy polluters off the road. A compromise between auto manufacturers and environmentalists - an experienced politician's way of thinking. And the farmers get their low cost, used pickups, and AMLO votes.

• Sad 1

On 2/25/2018 at 7:00 PM, Sonia said:

Three days in Laredo for a 2009 or 2010 NAFTA made vehicle with prices starting at $2500 US. 

Enrique Bautista email:  superimportaciones@yahoo.com

Also, enrique_bautista@yahoo.com

The website is:  www.superimportaciones.com.  Enrique's phone is 956-722-6476.  Cell - 956-645-8073.

Jose Bautista email:  jgbm60@hotmail.com 

He is located in Nuevo Laredo 2 blocks from Aduana. 

Enrique is at 2500 Pinder Ave., Laredo, TX 78040.

Sonia, are you aware of anyone in Lakeside who offers a service to legalize a car? We have a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan we'd like to legalize, and were given two names to contact: Tim Welch and Jayme Littlejohn. Do you know of them?

• Haha 2

Sonia can answer for herself in due course but since she lives in San Miguel I doubt that she will know Ajijic residents who "moonlight" and assist local people with this and other kind of services. Sonia deals more with registered and bonded agents at the border.

Whomever you use just make sure that the vehicle is also EXPORTED from the US by US Customs and Border Protection as part of the process... and that takes a trip to the border with the vehicle.

P.S.  The term is "Nationalize"

P.P.S.  This Post is absolutely NOT in any way meant to be derogatory towards Tim and Jayme or any services they may provide

• Haha 1

To take this a bit further with respect to the ‘cost’ to Nationalize this particular vehicle....  assuming that it was worth $10,000 (which it probably is not, but the math is easier this way).

The cost will come from these things:

- cost (minimal) to have it Exported from the US by Customs & Border Protection Agency of Homeland Security

- 16% IVA on 10% fee ( $10,000US x 10% = $1,000. Then times 16% IVA = $160 + the $1,000 fee = $1,160. 

- $50US for the Aduana fee

- Broker’s fee. If one doesn’t drive their own vehicle to the border and back, then there will be additional fees to whomever is hired to provide this service to the owner

- Getting the vehicle to/from the border and staying 2-3 days there for the process

- Jalisco fees for title and license 

The unknown here is just how much a bonded broker might charge at the border or how much a ‘we’ll handle it for you’ fee might be, but in the end it could easily cost from north of $2,500 to $4,000+.   Some people are comfortable with this amount as they might know that their car is sound. Others would just say sell it for $10,000 in the US and add the ‘saved’ $2500-$4,000  to buy a Mexican plated car.... maybe one that ‘fits’ the narrow streets at Lakeside, gets better fuel mileage and doesn’t have the Transitos following you around. 

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

2009 and 2010, NAFTA made, at Laredo, ~$3000 US

There is no other legal process today.

AMLO our president-elect has signed an agreement with UCD stating he will be allowing nationalizing cars and a motion is already before the Deputies. We do not know the timing. The notice has been published in Milenio.

• Like 1

We are still receiving complaints about people paying to nationalize vehicles and getting fake papers or no papers at all, a "law" firm in Ajijic charging $3,000US and then says sorry we cant do it and not returning money.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Intercasa said:

We are still receiving complaints about people paying to nationalize vehicles and getting fake papers or no papers at all, a "law" firm in Ajijic charging $3,000US and then says sorry we cant do it and not returning money.  

Agree totally. 

If anyone offers to nationalize a vehicle and the process is to be completed within days and / or it includes state plates including EdoMex the process has a 100% chance of being illegal. If you want to check out such a process go and ask your local SAT / Aduana office if it is legal. 

There is no process available today that allows one to nationalize a vehicle already in Mexico.

• Like 2

Hello, my name is Enrique Bautista, I am Mexican Customs Broker Substitute for my brother Jose Bautista, license (Patente Aduanal), 3864.. At the present time the vehicles that can be nationalized are the ones manufactured in the USA, Canada or Mexico and that are 2009 and 2010 paying a 10% import duty and the 2008 and older paying a 50% import duty, in addition on both cases they also have to pay a 16% Value Added Tax (IVA) based on the value that Mexican Customs put on them (SAT). The only person that can nationalized a vehicle is a Licensed Mexican Customs Broker accredited by the Mexican Treasury (Secretaria de Hacienda y Credito Publico), also you have to take your vehicle to the U.S.border so it can be exported before the U.S. Customs and Border Protection, for Canadian Vehicles they have to be exported before the Canada Border Services Agency. For the U.S. titled vehicles we handle the U.S. and Mexican Customs formalities and for the Canadian registered vehicles I can tell you what forms to use to export the vehicle before you leave Canada. If the vehicle is not exported before the Canadian or U.S. Customs authorities, Mexican Customs will not let you nationalize the vehicle.  Besides the Customs clearance we also do the Emissions Inspection and process the permit to drive without Mexican license plates from the border to your final destination in Mexico, we also arrange for the return of the vehicle from Mexico back to the U.S. border. This coming November the year for the 10% import duty will change to 2010 and 2011. You can check for the credentials of a Mexican Customs Broker at caaarem.mx , We are located in Laredo, Texas and Nuevo Laredo, Tamaulipas Mexico, one of our websites is www.pexim.com , the one for the used vehicles is www.superimportaciones.com , The import process takes two days, but you have to send pictures or scanned documents at least 4 days before you come to the border because U.S. Customs and Border Protection requires 72 hours to check your vehicle before it can clear U.S. Customs. For questions you can e-mail me at enrique@pexim.com or call me at my cell. (956) 645-8073, enjoy Mexico and have a beautiful day. Enrique Bautista, MBA, AAS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1