Chapala.com Webboard

Wedding Present

Carlyn

5 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

Where are they registered?  I imagine that horrible practice has found its way here.

No it has not come here...thankfully.     We asked the parents...and found they needed a microwave...

It was quite a party...in this case anyway....so be generous............. 

Traditionally you take money. Most often the bride and groom dance and straight pins will be passed out. Then each male guest dances in turn with the bride and pins the cash to her gown. It's a genuine tradition here and beats the hell out of registries or 5 blenders as we received for wedding many years ago.

12 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

Where are they registered?  I imagine that horrible practice has found its way here.

Well, I consider that "horrible practice" a godsend. That way I don't have to think about it and the couple actually get what they want to begin their new lives together. So it depends.......on the wedding and where it is and who it's between.

For a wedding in Guadalajara among some, they may very well be registered. Just ask. For a local wedding, it depends on the participants. (And Cash $$$ is always appreciated when given appropriately and respectfully).

Have fun! Mexican weddings are just about the best party on EARTH!

I think registring for gift is a wonderful idea, this way people get something they can use rather than crystal vases or a buch of blenders . It is a hell of a practical idea for a wedding .Unfortunately people here  in the country do not register so they get a lot of duplocates and useless stuff. Upper classes do register.. 

• 6 months later...

Hey,  What you gifted to the couple? There are many gift options available for the couple. Along with these above options, gifting some fashion accessories can also be the best idea. Fashion accessory like a watch, wholesale designer sunglasses and many more. These gifts are available on the sites like Amazon, City Sunglass,  eBay, etc. One can go with these gifting options also.

Gift registry is definitely here--if by 'here', you mean Mexico.  Look at the website of any department store: Liverpool, Sears, Palacio de Hierro, Fábrica de Francia, etc.  They're all heavily used.  Recently-married friends registered at Liverpool; their registered items included everything from a set of high-end skillets to money donations to help finance their honeymoon.  

On 2/21/2018 at 11:25 AM, Carlyn said:

What does one (a gringo) take as a present to a Mexican wedding?

The level of social strata will determine what kind of gift. 

I've been to modest weddings in dirt fields where the tequila was passed around to very high-end weddings where body guards were in plain sight, to a range of celebrations across the middle spectrum. 

All types of these were great fun, but you wouldn't be gifting the same way for all of them. 

As gimpychimp wrote, what is traditional in the village might not cut it in the city. 

Archived