Chapala.com Webboard

Getting roots out of a drain

cedros

I have a drain that is partly blocked-probably by roots. A plumber told me that an American had brought something from the US that dissolved the root blocking her drain. Has anyone heard of such a thing?

He might do the trick but how to get the metal grill off the top of the drain. One plumber gave up as he was afraid of damaging the tiles.

RootX used to be available on Amazon Mexico. It works very well. It is not legal to bring it on an airplane. My plumber finally just manhandled the root out of the drain. It took 20 years for it to be a problem so at my age I am not worrying that I will have to deal with it again!

Thanks for the replies which gave me some leads. So Root X and copper sulfate can kill roots in drains. I wonder if either are available here?

7 hours ago, cedros said:

Thanks for the replies which gave me some leads. So Root X and copper sulfate can kill roots in drains. I wonder if either are available here?

Copper sulphate is available in places that sell agricultural chemicals. Perhaps also hardware stores and some nurseries. It is used to kill powdery mildew and other fungus infections on plants.

The most common stump remover is potassium nitrate granules (also known as saltpeter), dissolved in water, then injected into holes drilled into the wood. It greatly accelerates the decomposition of the wood. It is very common in the soil around Chapala, as a matter of fact you might have seen it in those fluffy white crystals, which look like mold, in salitre. I think there was a mine near at one time. It was also used to make gunpowder.

Sodium, like salt, will poison the soil around that area for many years.

Archived