Chapala.com Webboard

Taking a nationalised car back to U.S.

Willie

Has anyone taken an originally U.S. plated car back permanently to the U.S. after it has been nationalized in Mexico?  If so, can you please explain the process to accomplish this, realizing that they will have to contact the correct agency within the U.S. government.  TIA

Was it exported from the US when being nationalized? Was the car registered in the US in your name or did you buy a vehicle that has been nationalized? I do not know how anyone could answer the question with out these answers.

3 hours ago, Willie said:

Has anyone taken an originally U.S. plated car back permanently to the U.S. after it has been nationalized in Mexico?  If so, can you please explain the process to accomplish this, realizing that they will have to contact the correct agency within the U.S. government.  TIA

Willie, go to the CBP website and there's a link there for exactly this. If I recall correctly, the process is explained clearly and there's a Laredo contact if you have questions.

19 minutes ago, Willie said:

Yes and yes......I advised them to speak with an exporter .....maybe there is someone more appropriate.?

• https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/importing-car
  • Re-Importing A Previously Exported Vehicle
    A vehicle taken from the United States for non-commercial, private use may be returned duty free by proving to CBP that it was previously owned and registered in the United States. This proof may be a state-issued registration card for the automobile or a bill of sale for the car from a U.S. dealer. Repairs or accessories acquired abroad for your vehicle must be declared on your return and may be subject to duty.
    In some countries, it will be difficult or impossible to obtain unleaded fuel for your vehicle. If the vehicle is driven using leaded gasoline, it will be necessary for you to replace the catalyst and oxygen sensor upon its return to the U.S. To avoid the expense of replacing these parts you may obtain authorization from EPA to remove the catalyst and oxygen sensor before the vehicle is shipped overseas. The EPA telephone number for these authorizations is (202) 564-2418. When the vehicle returns to the U.S., the original catalyst and oxygen sensor will need to be reinstalled. However, you may now reenter your U.S. version vehicle into the U.S. without bond, upon your assurance that you will have the reinstallation performed.

On 2/17/2018 at 4:09 PM, Willie said:

Yes, I did this last year. IF the vehicle has not been modified to eliminate equipment that would make it fail Emissions and/or Safety regulations (EPA, CARB and DOT), this process is not hard/costly nor time consuming. The vehicle that I took back HAD been officially Exported from the US as a part of the Import into Mexico. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is the agency that one will work with to accomplish the Import back to the US. 

As Sonia has stated, there are several ‘situations’ that could alter the process but not necessarily make it un-doable.... like the US Title to the vehicle I took back had been ‘modified’ by the Mexican Import process and my seller had to get a duplicate title from his US state of residence prior to the move to Mexico. With other Imports into Mexico that I know of, the process did NOT ‘deface’  the US title at all and that would make it a bit easier and more timely. 

Also, check with the DMV in the state that you will be titling the vehicle in to make sure their requirements to title a vehicle are known and prepared for. 

The process at the US border, by CBP, did not take me more than 45 minutes but I had thoroughly researched the process and had all my I’s dotted and T’s crossed.  I have also Imported into the US a ‘made-for-Canada’ titled Canadian vehicle. That process was different and did take some extra work on my and the seller’s part but in the end I was able to do it, even ‘tho I was Importing the Canadian plated car into the US FROM Mexico!

On 2/17/2018 at 5:30 PM, Yo1 said:

It is a big PITA and not cheap.  Talk to Spencer.

Yo1, why make a Post like that in response Willie's question when it is obvious by your Post that you are not knowledgeable of that process. It is neither a PITA nor is it expensive... as in it costs ZERO. And I doubt that Spencer is, understandably, not that knowledgeable of the process either as it is not run-of-the-mill.   

It's not a matter of just taking it across the border in order to do it legally.  Paperwork from both sides of the border must be in compliance as well as an inspection to make sure the vehicle hasn't been tampered with and can pass the US smog tests.

10 hours ago, Yo1 said:

It's not a matter of just taking it across the border in order to do it legally.  Paperwork from both sides of the border must be in compliance as well as an inspection to make sure the vehicle hasn't been tampered with and can pass the US smog tests.

None of which, in my personal experience of doing it twice last year, was a PITA or costly. I did it right and legally. There is/was no paperwork from the Mexican side of the border, only one easy form to fill out for US Customs. Then 45 minutes extra at the border for CBP to check out the vehicle for potentially missing emissions equipment (NO emissions test required!) and.....$0.00 changing hands. 

This is the accurate message that I want Willie to hear and understand. Yes, I spent some research time and a call to understand the requirements for doing this legally, so maybe that is the PITA to which you are referring. But not to me, the guy who has actually done it.    YMMV I guess.

Archived