Chapala.com Webboard

Changes at IMSS?

addtocart

I'm hearing rumblings of changes at IMSS.  To wit, we are no longer covered for things like knee replacements, cataract surgery, and more.  Even though my payment sheet (which I got two weeks ago) is stamped "Sin restricciones" or something similar, I'm hearing that we are covered only for emergency.  I'm going in for shoulder surgery in a few weeks, so I guess I'll find out, but I'm just wondering...

I have had several surgeries throughout my life, none of them pleasant but all of them necessary. By far the one that stands out in my mind is my shoulder surgery. I injured it body surfing when I foolishly decided to tangle with a wave I knew was too big. Emergency surgery got it back in place and then I started rehab when I returned home. Long story short, extensive additional surgery was neede. The pain from that one was a magnitude greater than any previously and it seemed to go on forever. Thank goodness they didn't have opioids to prescribe back then or I would probably be still hooked. Many doctors have told me shoulder surgery is one of the most painful, for whatever reason. I have since told anyone who asks, don't do it until it's the last resort. I realize the OP didn't ask but I'm still giving my 2 pesos of advice.  Best of luck with your surgery you will be better off in the end with no addictive pain killers here in Mexico.

3 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

They replace knees etc. but never did hips as of last time I read their manual of treatments last year. No dialysis either but they might be getting it or the SP might some time in the future - ISSSTE has it now.

A friend had a hip replacement done by I MSS a few months ago.  

2 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

Not really amazing, many times Seguro and IMSS will contract out services. They arrange with physicians for a very low fee, the patient still has to pay, but nowhere near the amounts you would pay if you ended up in a Guadalajara "boutique" hospital.

Yes it is amazing as Alan clearly  stated their  manual clearly state no hips...which surprised  me

I wonder if Xena friend used the IMSS facilities to have the procedure done "privately"

2 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

Yes it is amazing as Alan clearly  stated their  manual clearly state no hips...which surprised  me

I wonder if Xena friend used the IMSS facilities to have the procedure done "privately"

271. REDUCTION OF LUXATIONS UNDER ANESTHESIA BY HANDLING
272. SURGICAL REDUCTION OF CLAVICLE FRACTURE
273. SURGICAL REDUCTION OF HUMAN FRACTURE
274. SURGICAL REDUCTION OF SPLIT AND RADIO FRACTURE
275. SURGICAL REDUCTION OF HAND FRACTURE
276. SURGICAL REDUCTION OF HIP FRACTURE
277. FEMUR FRACTURE SURGICAL REDUCTION
278. SURGICAL REDUCTION OF FRACTURE OF TIBIA AND PERONÉ
279. SURGICAL ANKLE AND FOOT SURGERY REDUCTION
280. ARTHROSCOPIC TREATMENT OF KNEE INJURIES
281. TOTAL KNEE ARTHROPLASTY
282. AMPUTATION OF LOWER MEMBER SECONDARY TO DIABETIC FOOT
283. TREATMENT OF SYNOVIAL CYST AND GANGLION
284. DIAGNOSIS AND TREATMENT OF CARDIAC ARRHYTHMIAS

http://www.seguro-popular.salud.gob.mx/images/Contenidos/gestion/CAUSES 2014.pdf

I was sure it was omtted from the IMSS Catalogue of Treatments but it was the Seguro Popular Catalogue of Treatments that doesn´t list it - only total knee replacement.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/16/2018 at 8:11 AM, AlanMexicali said:

Yes. I mistakenly confused the  available treatments at the IMSS with the available treatments at the Seguro Popular in my above post. Sorry.

A friend had a hip replacement at IMSS 10 or so years ago. It was imperfect at best and she has been confined to bed for much of the last 10 years. 

On 2/15/2018 at 9:25 AM, pappysmarket said:

I have had several surgeries throughout my life, none of them pleasant but all of them necessary. By far the one that stands out in my mind is my shoulder surgery. I injured it body surfing when I foolishly decided to tangle with a wave I knew was too big. Emergency surgery got it back in place and then I started rehab when I returned home. Long story short, extensive additional surgery was neede. The pain from that one was a magnitude greater than any previously and it seemed to go on forever. Thank goodness they didn't have opioids to prescribe back then or I would probably be still hooked. Many doctors have told me shoulder surgery is one of the most painful, for whatever reason. I have since told anyone who asks, don't do it until it's the last resort. I realize the OP didn't ask but I'm still giving my 2 pesos of advice.  Best of luck with your surgery you will be better off in the end with no addictive pain killers here in Mexico.

Just so nobody swears off recommended shoulder surgery based on your experience,  I would like to share my fairly recrnt story.  I had total shoulder replacement one year ago due to arthritic deterioration which left bone on bone.  The pain particularly interrupted my sleep.  I had some expected pain following surgery but nothing I couldn't handle.  I started PT almost immediately following surgery and regained full range of motion in that shoulder.  Most importantly I no longer have any pain.  I wish I had done the surgery when first diagnosed three years prior.

Most glad to hear yours went so well. My doc had advised he intended to just use arthroscopic surgery lasting about 45 minutes based on the CT scan I had. However, when he got in there he found more damage and surgery lasted 7 1/2 hours. My pain was excruciating afterwards and several docs told me that is pretty common. Mine involved reconstruction of damage in an accident so perhaps that was the difference. I underwent 3 months of rehab that I worked at harder than I ever thought I was capable of and regained about 60% range of motion. Over the years that has regressed back to maybe 25% range. Thanks for balancing out my horror story and count yourself among the fortunate.

Archived