Chapala.com Webboard

Cozumel restaurant in Chapala

ComputerGuy

I had given up on this place years ago. It is truly an expat conclave, English spoken and free wine and margaritas. But the meals I had there were awful. My Mom dragged me there every year for years, and I went to keep her happy.

Yesterday, we had visitors from England, and thought we would take a walk on the malecon and go to Mariscos Guicho for some seafood. Were we surprised to find the whole malecon walled off! with corrugated metal, and entrance lines, for a show on a huge stage built out on the new bridge to the pescador statue (now I know why they made the bridge SO big). Only Chapala's government would shut down all those businesses on one of the biggest days of the year. When Carnaval was at the park, this wasn't an issue. Why they chose to move it, I'll never know. Thousands of people in the streets, a huge traffic problem, and half-a-dozen giant speaker systems, competing with the area restaurants and homeowners.

Anyway, Guicho's was closed, as were several other places at that end. So our plans kinda fell flat. We ended up in Cozumel, because it was open (and crowded). Well, I have to say except for a bit of spotty service, all the food was delicious. I had "trout with three butters" which was deelish and properly cooked and nicely presented. A fish stuffed with octopus looked awful when it arrived: a big globo of fried breading, but it was excellent, and the octopus was perfectly cooked. Shrimp al diablo was also excellent. Each meal was 140p, which seems average these days, and we left quite happy. (And the margaritas were a well-balanced mix; no sign of rubbing alcohol-quality tequila.)

7 hours ago, sm1mex said:

We go quite often and have never had a bad meal.  the servers are like family to us.  Plus their margaritas are great and for free !

Wait. What? Are free margaritas a common thing? I didn't see that on our last trip. Game changer. 

We've been enjoying Cozumel's delicious seafood for at least 20 years.  We used to visit family living here and the Red Snapper (whole fish) with garlic has always been delicious.  I tend to order either Coconut Shrimp or Costa Azul Shrimp (stuffed with cheese, wrapped in bacon and fried).  The Margaritas have always been tasty but lately I've asked for them without the Jarabe (sugar water), trying to drop those unwanted pounds, LOL!

Gerardo has been there ever since we started many years ago and he always greets us with a smile, hug and continues with terrific service.  Happy to hear your recent visit was a more pleasant experience, Computer Guy. :)

Happy diner,

Valerie :)

I finally tried the place that I can walk to dead-running-drunk, it's so close. I usually do not eat at the tourist places, but the raves here caused me to give it a try. The food was good. I had to ask for the pico de gallo to have chilis (I am quite noticeably white), so that is a norm. The totopos are the best and shaped just right. I was fun to sit outside watching the tourists walk by while I drank the free margaritas. I noticed the tourists all had different drinks than the free ones, so it must be a local spiff if one asks. I stumbled home with a doggie bag. I will go back when I get out of town guests.

Archived