Chapala.com Webboard

Waffle House

lakeside7

I have this friend who whenever I suggest we go out for breakfast always chooses the Waffle House. This happens 1 or 2 a year....(I keep forgetting what my reasons are for avoiding the  place.)

What a horrible experience (again). This morning a "guitarist " turned up and proceeded to ""vocalize ". What a dreadful noise, only tobe compounded by a blender going crazy in the kitchen. Any reasonable conversation was out of the question.

After a short respite another group of 4/5 proceeded to serenad the captured audience...sometimes being drowned out by the trucks outside using their exhaust brakes.

What a terrible location and intrusive din from wannabe musicians . But when you look at the waiting  masses  lined up at the weekend you would think they giving the food away.

1 hour ago, el bartman said:

Tapatios seem to really love it and find the prices in line.   Never has been an extranjeros hangout.   Have you tried across the road at Fonda Doña Lola?   Same ambience from the noisy trucks and, depending on the time, entertainment presents itself.  It's a cultural employment thing IMO.

But I have never seen Tapatios line up outside, And the prices at FDL are more reaso able for real not comfort  food

I see Tapatios line up at the Waffle House every weekend. They love it; to them, it's a specialty place. It costs more, so it must be better. Same reason as places like Wings Army are popular throughout Guadalajara: overpriced and "must be classy". Same reason big box stores here are treated like specialty shops, unlike back home where we count on massive buying power to keep the costs down: here, prices are generally higher than any local ferreteria.

20 hours ago, el bartman said:

Tapatios seem to really love it and find the prices in line.   Never has been an extranjeros hangout.   Have you tried across the road at Fonda Doña Lola?   Same ambience from the noisy trucks and, depending on the time, entertainment presents itself.  It's a cultural employment thing IMO.

Tried both one time each, that was sufficient.  No mas!

12 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

I actually really like Lola's, both for price and food. Of course I haven't tried everything, but the Sopa Azteca, the breakfasts, the carne en su jugo... all seemed to be pretty good.

Aside from the matchless ambiance, Dona Lola's isn't bad at all. Food's fresh, well prepared and prices reasonable.  Never got sick from it, either.

Haven't had the desire to try the Waffle House.  Just as well, based on the comments above.B)

We went 11 years ago and decided to try it again 1 month ago, we had the country breakfast and it was good, so last Sunday we went again and Wayne had a spinach omelette with no flavor and I had the country breakfast again and the gravy this time was like sludge. We go at 8am when there is no crowd, so probably won't go back again for a long time again. Like Min Wahs eggs Benedict but our weekly or more is still Sunrise after all this time. Always consistent!

To each their own. I have been to the Casa de Waffle a number of times and have never had a bad meal. I've also tried Dona Lola several times-pretty basic (boring) food.

1 hour ago, cedros said:

To each their own. I have been to the Casa de Waffle a number of times and have never had a bad meal. I've also tried Dona Lola several times-pretty basic (boring) food.

The meal I had was not “bad.” It was bland, mundane, and overpriced. For me, it is not worth driving out to West Ajijic for such food when I can have better and less expensive at a half dozen places much closer to home. To each her own.

Archived