Chapala.com Webboard

MX notario or US notary for closing docs on US home?

kimanjome

Closing on a Florida US house while here in Mexico. They are overnighting docs to me. At a fee from the US Consulate at $50 per document--and I am looking at 8 or 9 documents, total $400 of $450!! I'm wondering if I could use a Mexican notario--if I can.  Or,  just book a cheap flight to TX, have the siggies notarized there, do some shopping and fly back to GDL the next day.

I'm not sure what you mean about adding problems to closing.

A POA is signed for a specific transaction. The title company releases all the final documents to the seller using a secure message center. Seller reviews the documents and can point out errors to the title company. That is pretty common. Once all the documents are in order the seller's part is done. The person assigned POA just signs the same documents reviewed by the seller.

The only inconvenience is to the person assigned the POA who has to go to the title company and sign the documents on behalf of the seller.

It also works well in Mexico. My wife was assigned POA for friends in the US buying a home in Ajijic. The buyers got the papers from the realtor in Mexico, approved them and my wife went to the notario's office and signed on their behalf. Not a big deal at all.

Use US Consulate Notary for at least the grant deed or any deed of trust.  You have 3 parties to pass muster with, the title company, lender and county recorder . While a Mexican notary can work, some county recorders flatly refuse to accept Mexican notaries for documents to be recorded.   Best bet if you need to have docs signed here then grant deed or any deed of trust with US Consulate and the rest with Mexican Notary to save money. 

Archived