Chapala.com Webboard

Animal care needs??

Lots of vets (almost as prevalent as pharmacies and dentists); There are  quite a few pet sitters/house sitters in the area and they are busy but until you develop a cliente it may be tough. The spay and neuter clinics always need volunteers (groomers, someone to do ears, toenails, tattoos and shots).  Also check out HousesitMexico - https://www.housesitmexico.com/

House Sit Mexico has only 9 active listings, and I've never seen more than 12 active at a time there, so the odds of finding anything there are very slim and you have to pay just to find out that there is nothing for you.  A lot of people here hire pet sitters though so once you are here , in time you could get established and probably find lots of jobs at the current rate of 200 pesos a day in most cases, which is about $10.70 USD. That's about the same rate I pay to have my dog groomed, by the way.   Vets here charge very reasonable rates, and there are so many of them that they don't use Vet Techs the way we do up north.  They do all the work themselves. A really good groomer who knows all the proper cuts for the different breeds could probably make a bit of a living. Mobile groomers who come to your house can be quite busy and one guy who did a lot of business recently left town.  Your skills will be wonderful for the animal charities if you are willing to donate your time, as so many of us do, but if you need to make enough money to support yourself here, please think about how little you will be paid anywhere you work. The wages here are abysmal compared to up north. 

Keep in mind that getting a work permit is a tremendous amount of paperwork and many bureaucratic steps. Volunteering, on the other hand, is easy. I second the spay/neuter clinics - they are most rewarding. The animal shelters also need volunteers and people who can groom a badly matted dog are always welcome.

19 hours ago, MtnMama said:

Keep in mind that getting a work permit is a tremendous amount of paperwork and many bureaucratic steps. Volunteering, on the other hand, is easy. I second the spay/neuter clinics - they are most rewarding. The animal shelters also need volunteers and people who can groom a badly matted dog are always welcome.

Encouraging people to volunteer is great.

However, getting a work permit does not involve "a tremendous amount of paperwork and many bureaucratic steps".

Archived