Chapala.com Webboard

Address for US passport renewal

Sandrita

Although I have permanente status in Mexico I still keep a permanent address in the US.  I have to renew my passport this month and am wondering if I should use my Mexican or US address?  If I used my Mexican address is there any chance that Social Security would not continue to deposit my monthly check into my US bank account?

I have gone onto Social Security's website to change my email address but it seems like it is impossible to do.If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

Muchas gracias.

We have lived in MX full time for 20 years and have not had or used any other address with SS.   I am disabled and have had direct deposit SS without ANY problems for all 20 years . Five of those years have been direct deposit into a Mexican bank.  My husband has been receiving SS for 10 years with only a Mexican address.  We have renewed our U.S. passports in MX with only MX addresses.

3 hours ago, Sandrita said:

Although I have permanente status in Mexico I still keep a permanent address in the US.  I have to renew my passport this month and am wondering if I should use my Mexican or US address?  If I used my Mexican address is there any chance that Social Security would not continue to deposit my monthly check into my US bank account?

I have gone onto Social Security's website to change my email address but it seems like it is impossible to do.If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

Muchas gracias.

SS has my MX address and deposits in my US bank. That is not SS decision to make, where to deposit your money. I think any changes you make must be done through the consulate. Unless you have a great IP blocker, the SS website knows you are not in the US.

It is not a problem to only have a Mexican address and not as stated SS decision where you wish to have your money. 

I do think you may be best going to the consulate in Guadalajara to make changes and renew your passport or seeing them when them come to Lakeside either at the Legion or at LCS. 

Good luck, I have done everything from here in Mexico for my mother.  You also can call SS administration and deal with them via telephone.

The U.S. consulate does not deal with Social Security matters when they are lakeside. You can call, in Mexico, 01-800-772-6394 to talk to the SSA dept in Guadalajara. The next visit lakeside is Wednesday, February 14th for passport matters.

Archived