Chapala.com Webboard

RFC ?

Oatsie

There has been lots of talk about RFC's lately.

When a person gets an RFC, is it issued to the person or the document? 

Specifically, when I see my RFC number on my Mexican car registration, can I use that on other official documents in the future?

Spencer ?

Think of an RFC as a tax #.  Like your CURP, the number is specific to YOU, the person. If you have a medical insurance claim you need to have an RFC number in order to get a factura. So Yes you can use your RFC everytime you are asked for it.

CURP and RFC (for individuals) are specific to the person identified on the document.

However, you may see a CURP or RFC on many documents already issued to you that do not match (such as those on insurance policies and facturas for services, previous registrations, bank accounts, cards for permanente or temporal, driver license.)  They may instead reflect and show a generic placeholder as "your" CURP or RFC, but it is just a stop-gap.

My recommendation is to check your numbers against the numbers you may have on existing cards, then contact if you wish those other entities to update with your actual number and begin to use your numbers when requested.

Look at the number - it should have 4 letters, then your birthdate (y/m/d), 2 more letters and a number;
the first 4 letters will be the first 2 letters of your last name, possibly an X and the first letter of your first name OR first 2 letters of your middle name and the first 2 letter of your first name (I've see it both ways)

If that is the information that RFC # has then I would assume it is correct.

6 hours ago, Oatsie said:

Am I correct to assume then, that the RFC number on my new 2018 Mexican car registration is “official” and correct ?

https://portalsat.plataforma.sat.gob.mx/ConsultaRFC/

Only if the RFC number you put into the box in the above SAT number verifier or validifier [their word not mine] webpage is valid. The other numerous RFC numbers I had from banks, companies, car registration were bogus and made up at the time by some clerk. The X is because you have no maternal last name legally in your name. Your middle name is not used. Mexican names are:  Name. patermal last name. maternal last name. Our´s will be: Name, paternal last name, X for SAT RFC and CURP alpha-numeric numbers. So the beginning letters are used and 2 letters for the last name - paternal last name, not the maternal last name for Mexicans.

9 hours ago, jrod said:

CURP and RFC (for individuals) are specific to the person identified on the document.

However, you may see a CURP or RFC on many documents already issued to you that do not match (such as those on insurance policies and facturas for services, previous registrations, bank accounts, cards for permanente or temporal, driver license.)  They may instead reflect and show a generic placeholder as "your" CURP or RFC, but it is just a stop-gap.

My recommendation is to check your numbers against the numbers you may have on existing cards, then contact if you wish those other entities to update with your actual number and begin to use your numbers when requested.

Correct info above jrod, as far as my experience goes.

Check the SAT varifier/validifier webpage above to confirm which one is the official RFC number you have. If when you put in the RFC number you think you have and it doesn´t show up as valid you can see if you have an official RFC number by using your CURP number on another webpage on the SAT website. If that doesn´show one you can apply for a RFC number with only your CURP number again on another webpage on the SAT website.

1 hour ago, AlanMexicali said:

https://portalsat.plataforma.sat.gob.mx/ConsultaRFC/

Only if the RFC number you put into the box in the above SAT number verifier or validifier [their word not mine] webpage is valid. The other numerous RFC numbers I had from banks, companies, car registration were bogus and made up at the time by some clerk. The X is because you have no maternal last name legally in your name. Your middle name is not used. Mexican names are:  Name. patermal last name. maternal last name. Our´s will be: Name, X, paternal last name for SAT RFC and CURP alpha-numeric numbers. So the beginning letters are used and 2 letters for the last name - paternal last name, not the maternal last name for Mexicans.

<snip>

Check the SAT varifier/validifier webpage above to confirm which one is the official RFC number you have. If when you put in the RFC number you think you have and it doesn´t show up as valid you can see if you have an oficial RFC number by using your CURP number on another webpage on the SAT website. If that doesn´show one you can apply for a RFC number with only your CURP number again on another webpage on the SAT website.

When I put in the RFC number on my registration I get this message:   "Inferred RFC key".  Any idea what that means?  Google translate doesn't help.

As MacTavish says...Bill yours is like ours as far as  the car registration is concerned...the rules changed Jan. 1, according to our manager and an RFC# has to be known on ALL utility bills, and used for 'tax' or Capital Gains should one sell their MX property.  We got more details today, not unlike most of the above remarks, but often some RFC #'s are bogus, or generic and made by a clerk. 

Bill, you may not need one other than the one you do have on your car registration.  Not paying utility bills or selling a home, it isn't mandatory, but could be in the future.

We are in the process of getting one for each of us, with help from our manager and she is doing  this for all home owners in her care, one cost will be about $30p to give that number at the various utilities.  Not much, but interestingly, one doesn't pay to give a SIN # in Canada...which we had from birth.  Mexico is still behind in that way, so we understand.  But it is changing.

In summary, I doubt that renters will need an 'official' RFC number, until the rules change again......  But get one is you will.......

1 hour ago, Oatsie said:

When I put in the RFC number on my registration I get this message:   "Inferred RFC key".  Any idea what that means?  Google translate doesn't help.

This link to a recent thread explains how to get a RFC number online in a few minutes at the SAT website with only your correct CURP number.

A Canadian SIN or US SS number equates to CURP not RFC. And you do not pay to get a RFC. You may pay if you do have have computer skills or lack the ability to communicate n Spanish.

Archived