Chapala.com Webboard

Old timers fav restaurant

Justathought

Breakfast, lunch or dinner:  Gosha's . Lunch and dinner: Cocinart and Tabarka. (caveat: Tabarka is iffy when David isn't around.) Lunch only: Emma's Deli on Ramon Corona in Ajijic, across from the new Tabarka location.

Note: Carlos at Gosha's recently acquired four heaters for the outside dining area.

However, although I'm an "oldtimer", all of the places I've named except Tabarka are fairly recent additions to the local restaurant scene.  Very good additions. All are reasonably priced.

Most of my dining out is for lunch.  I like to cook dinner.

12 minutes ago, JOLINDA MARSHALL said:

As a "Nubie" but "Foodie" I am very grateful for these posts! ♥ 

...and a warm welcome to you, Newbie Foodie.  You'll find that around here, everybody eats and everybody is a food critic.  Witness the many posts on French fries ! There seems to be two camps: good healthy food and comfort, but not necessarily healthy, food. (I belong to first camp, but am not a vegetarian.) Prime rib isn't for me, but Arileo's,  west of  Ajijic, is popular for that on Fridays.;)

Hah:  My favorite places from the truly "old" and some not so old days" are gone.    Presently, for breakfast:  Chile Verde on Colon across from the taxi parking at the Plaza; & the new Cafe Montana in SAT, north side of carretera in the residential section east of Modelo.   Lunch:  St. Remy in So. West Ajijic; Pale` next to Sherwin Williams paint store on the carretera; Tepatate PienThai on Hidalgo;  Jardin de Ninette north lateral across from Farmacia GDL; and,, the new, very rustic but intensely flavorful Forest Grill on the mountain-side lateral just west of Rio Bravo.  Dinner:  St. Remy; the Charcuterie at Barbara's Bazaar.

I'm a lunch  person. 

1)Lake Taco on the Libramiento,... shrimp burritos etc. 

2)Panino on the carretera (just west of SuperLake)...most consistent well run restaurant with great food, great service and nice ambience

3)El Huerto Café in west Riberas on the carretera... best salads EVER.

4) Chopsticks... at the back of Plaza Bugambilias... Thai/Oriental.

7 minutes ago, IMBurnen said:

Glad someone mentioned Chopsticks, which is actually Vietnamese. Their Pho on Fridays only is excellent, as is the homemade ice cream.

Recently, she added homemade pie. Delicious!

It's all good, but I especially like the pork potstickers.

If you haven't tried their sugar free cappuccino ice cream, you're in for a treat. It's the only ice cream that is not made by Betty herself. I do have to admit that I like all her homemade flavours though. It's a nice finish to her flavourful meals. If she sold her peanut sauce by the quart, I'd buy it!

Lunch specials at the Legion in Chapala have been our go-to comfort food for more than a decade.  And their margaritas are my favorites, among all that I have tried.  Monday Chile Rellenos, Tuesday filet mignon (get there early), Wed lasagna veggie or meat, Thursday chicken (used to be cordon blu, then they switched to a chicken pot pie) Friday fish filet veracruzana.  Prices are EXTREMELY reasonable!  And comfortable ambiance.

We don't go out for brekkie, but the Legion has great breakfasts too!  Also Delicias on Hidalgo, mountainside, shortly after entering Chapala.

Small plate I agree, Go Bistro is awesome.

We seldom go out for dinner, when we do, we look for a place with music.  La Bodega was our fav for many years, but now they charge insane prices!  So we don't go there any longer.  Example - a month or two ago, on an open mike night, we were charged 405 pesos for a cup of soup, a salad, a margarita and a local beer.

Archived