Chapala.com Webboard

Paprika

luvsdawgs

Paprika is widely available, including WalMart. It's called pimentón, as reported by sugar above. And CostCo has huge bottles of the stuff. I imagine the spice and grain shop in Ajijic would have perhaps a couple of varieties.

I have a very large container from McCormicks, purchased at SuperLake some years back, who's only ingredient is listed as paprika. The bottle, however, was exported by CostCo in Washington, so SL must have purchased it at CostCo themselves. At 510g, it was probably purchased before McCormicks changed their labels. Could even be stale, but seems to still have a kick. The same size bottle at CostCo is 70p under the Kirkland name

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

Paprika is widely available, including WalMart. It's called pimenton, as reported by sugar above. And CostCo has huge bottles of the stuff. I imagine the spice and grain shop in Ajijic would have perhaps a couple of varieties.

I have a very large container from McCormicks, purchased at SuperLake some years back, who's only ingredient is listed as paprika. The bottle, however, was exported by CostCo in Washington, so SL must have purchased it at CostCo themselves. At 510g, it was probably purchased before McCormicks changed their labels. Could even be stale, but seems to still have a kick. The same size bottle at CostCo is 70p under the Kirkland name

Your McCormicks [ahem] paprika and any other US or Canadian brands are as I described ,hardly any flavour and if so it's slightly sweet and is hardly more than food colouring. I use imported from Hungary which lasts forever and maintains it's "kick".

El Granero does indeed carry paprika but I don't know its origin, whether it is sweet or hot, or the basic Mexican stuff. Superlake used to carry Hungarian paprika in the front glass case, under lock and key, but it's been a while since I looked for any. Luckily, a dear friend made a trip to Poland and Hungary and brought me back some.

Well, the spice gods have spoken, apparently. Small and Smaller. We poor unwashed, who have been making chicken paprikash for years but unknowingly in the tasteless dark, should now be taken out and summarily shot for living life.

Soriana stocks Master Chef Mexico brand spices.  They are a bit upscale and I was surprised to see them there. 

I bought Pimenton Tipo Espana (Spanish paprika) and use it in paella and in other recipes.  It is not hot but has a deep flavor with a hint of smokiness.  The OP did not mention what sort of recipe s/he wants it for.  

2 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Well, the spice gods have spoken, apparently. Small and Smaller. We poor unwashed, who have been making chicken paprikash for years but unknowingly in the tasteless dark, should now be taken out and summarily shot for living life.

You should buy Hungarian paprika instead of Spanish paprika and see what you are missing. I can gag down a lot of the local food, but that doesn't make it good.

Angus, I'm 65. I've been here 20 years, Canada 43 (two years on a military base in Germany). I've been an avid home cook for many of those years. What makes you think I, and everyone else on this board, don't know this already?

Thing is, Bub, we live in Mexico now. Although I'm not sure where "I can gag down a lot of the local food, but that doesn't make it good" fits in, unless you are talking about my cooking being "local".

It annoys the absolute sh** out of me when people get on here and assume they know more than everyone else. We didn't all arrive on a kindergarten bus day trip. Although I must say, you're an absolute beginner compared to nedro.

5 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Angus, I'm 65. I've been here 20 years, Canada 43 (two years on a military base in Germany). I've been an avid home cook for many of those years. What makes you think I, and everyone else on this board, don't know this already?

Thing is, Bub, we live in Mexico now. Although I'm not sure where "I can gag down a lot of the local food, but that doesn't make it good" fits in, unless you are talking about my cooking being "local".

It annoys the absolute sh** out of me when people get on here and assume they know more than everyone else. We didn't all arrive on a kindergarten bus day trip.

Do you flame cook too?

Paprika in supermarkets here  is called pimentón dulce. Pimentón can be ground cayenne chili pepper, allspice is called pimentón grande and regular pimentón can be any chili peppers depending on who you ask at the mercado spice and chili vendors stall. Paprika here really has no flavor as some posters have pointed out. I presume it is to add color to a dish.

1 hour ago, AlanMexicali said:

Paprika in supermarkets here  is called pimentón dulce. Pimentón can be ground cayenne chili pepper, allspice is called pimentón grande and regular pimentón can be any chili peppers depending on who you ask at the mercado spice and chili vendors stall. Paprika here really has no flavor as some posters have pointed out. I presume it is to add color to a dish.

With all due respect, allspice is known in Mexico as pimienta gorda

I've never even heard of pimentón made of ground cayenne.  Paprika can be any of several varieties; one is smoked, which is quite flavorful--I haven't found smoked paprika in Mexico, though.  

Archived