Chapala.com Webboard

Monarch Butterflies

dennis clark

Easiest first trip is  through a tour agency who will  prepurchase  your bus tickets & book your hotel reservations.  Your driver to the Reserve is through the hotel. Some things I learned from my visits: 

Morelia is about 4hrs from Guad and the butterfly reserve is a long drive  from Morelia. - about 3 hrs 

ypur hotel provided driver from Morelia is just a driver .though with any luck he will be knowledgeable about the area & share some interesting information along the way. Only the Reserve -provided guides are allowed to lead visitors inside the park

The high- altitude  walk to the top is very very steep , about 1 1/2 hrs to the top or you can pay to go up on  horseback)

do NOT  go on a week-end !  visitors can be shoulder-to-shoulder & your time at the top actually observing the butterflies will be limited (I think the signs said 15 minutes?) 

Pack some food & drinks for the 6 hrs of driving ....not much available . I’d suggest a collapsible zipper cooler with ice packs for the car) 

Seeing the butterflies is an amazing experience !!

We did it last year.  Not a great selection of hotels in the area.  Be aware that because of altitude and steep walks this is fairly physically challenging even if you ride the horses which we did.  Quite amazing animals able to carry you up a steep and treacherous path.  Definitely try and go mid week if possible.

That was the biggest disappointment I had in Mexico. I went on  a long week.end with a friend and when we got near the entrance I told him I did not want to go as the crowd was overwhelming.. Once thre you have to go up hill and up hill, I am used to it because I live at 8000 feet a good part of the year  and do a lot of hiking at that altitude but itf you are not used to it , it is tough. It was early, an other mistake as the butterfly are very lethargic with low temperature, people were stepping on them handling them etc... I sure would not go again unless I had the park all to myself..

All hotels were booked and we ended up staying in Zitacuaro , there are  hotels around but you do need to make reservation and you need to drive or take public transportation to get there.

On 1/22/2018 at 5:41 PM, court0503 said:

<snip>....The high- altitude  walk to the top is very very steep , about 1 1/2 hrs to the top or you can pay to go up on  horseback)</snip>

Do the horses take you to the top, where the Monarch's are, or is there still an uphill walk/climb?

Archived