Chapala.com Webboard

"DUSTY CHICKEN"

gringal

This place has a formal name, but many of us have been calling it "The Dusty Chicken" for a long time in honor of its original location along the Carreterra.  It's been displaced a few times since then, and the newest location is across from the Pemex station on the Libramiento, just up the hill  from the Mall.  It's an outdoor barbecue setup, basically, and well out of the dust now. Everything is ready by noon.  Rumor has it that there is a second location on the Carreterra somewhere East of the main intersection.  Anyone know the exact location?  Same people?

I'm housebound at present and my spouse has been bringing lunch home.  Yesterday, he brought a "dusty chicken" spread and it was better than ever.  It included a big barbecued chicken, two containers of a mildly spiced guacamole, one container of a macaroni/veggie salad,  a container of potatoes and a bag of corn tortillas: there was so much of it that it did a repeat performance for dinner....all for under 200 pesos.

What a feast!  We'd consider ourselves lucky to have such good food served at a sit down restaurant. The freshly made corn tortillas are just right, and there were enough for several tacos each at both lunch and dinner. There are other items you could have with your order, and you add your own level of heat from the salsas available.  Well worth a try.

34 minutes ago, jrod said:

Gringal, "Pollos Asados al Carbon "El Amigo Don David" delivers; you might want to give them a call to find out their radius. 

01 33 1230 3692

AND they have a Facebook page.

(It may be hard to believe, but there are people who don't do Facebook.)  Thanks for the information about delivery and the phone #:).

The delivery info and phone numbers are HIDDEN on the giant poster at their location for those who don't "do Facebook". ('Cause I don't do FB either unless under extreme duress. :lol:

No matter how or where you get their great chicken, or what you call the name of the place, get that chicken! It's so good.

I'm glad people love it, but I have been buying chicken at different places around here for 20 years, and it is just the same as all the rest. I recommend Letty's in Ajijic beside the barbershop on the mountain side. Cheaper, too.

3 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

I'm glad people love it, but I have been buying chicken at different places around here for 20 years, and it is just the same as all the rest.

Isn't Lety's rotisserie chicken? I'm glad you love it, and not that it's not good, but I taste a HUGE difference between pollos rostizados and pollos asados (BBQ), with the "Dusty Chicken"/Pollos El Amigo de Don David being the tastiest in the latter category. Something about the rub they put on it.

39 minutes ago, Travis said:

Isn't Lety's rotisserie chicken? I'm glad you love it, and not that it's not good, but I taste a HUGE difference between pollos rostizados and pollos asados (BBQ), with the "Dusty Chicken"/Pollos El Amigo de Don David being the tastiest in the latter category. Something about the rub they put on it.

It's the rub.  Great flavor. I don't like the general idea of the rotisserie just drippin' the grease on down the line.

Just now, Canada-Mike said:

Dusty's is way ahead of the others, IMHO.

I'm still housebound, so my spouse got another "dusty chicken", but more of the macaroni/veggie salad. 

Be sure to check before you leave, since they forget things:  This time they forgot the tortillas. Last time it was the rice.  They did include a fiery hot sauce he didn't order.  They are forgiven, since the chicken was just as good as the last time around.  You can't get it before noon, and hours later, it gets overdone...so word to the wise: 12:15 is just right.

On 20/01/2018 at 2:09 PM, Travis said:

Yep, it is rotiss. Generally I find the spatchcocked chickens to be drier.

6 hours ago, gringal said:

You can't get it before noon, and hours later, it gets overdone...so word to the wise: 12:15 is just right.

Later works too. During Mexican lunch hour they are selling so many birds they practically fly off the grill, never sitting long. It's not the time of day so much, it's length of time it sits on the grill staying warm after cooked.

I've always wondered how many chickens they sell in a week...

We get several Dusty chickens, have some for lunch immediately (so gooood), and freeze the rest. Later, heated through in a steamer basket, it's great again! Our favorite, and with convenient delivery! Their sign, across from the Pemex station, is mostly covered by a tree, so drive slowly  and look out for "Pollo Don David". 

Archived