Chapala.com Webboard

Window/glass cleaner without ammonia

There are a couple of brand-name glass/mirror spray cleaners I used in Canada that do not contain ammonia. Ammonia is bad for mirrows, because spillover/leakage disrupts the aluminium used on the back/inside, causing what I call "black mirror".

Wondering if anyone knows of a similar product in Mexico. Next time I go shopping, I will check the labels.

Those are not answers to my question, thanks. After cleaning windows/mirrors for... oh, let's just say a long time, like most of us, I think I know all the tricks.

And BTW, Rick, using a newspaper after is a huge mistake, an old wives' tale, and is useless.

T.S.P. is overkill, thanks. I checked bottles today, and only PInol Vidrios shows no ammonia in the ingredients. Although, I should have brought a magnifying glass.

The products I used back home are not specialty products, they are just glass/window cleaners that don't include ammonia. Pick 'em up right beside Windex and all the others.

The old wives were correct, but we no longer have those old newspapers.  The ink used in today‘s newsprint is quite different and does not help in cleaning glass.

Today‘s new wives may have to resort to either amonia or vinegar, or a commercial product.

I should also mention that the dry steam or vapor cleaners do a wonderful job on windows. They are pricey but you can do so many things with them - for example on windows you can blow out the dirt, dead insects, which often lurk on the window pane. No chemicals are necessary, but you can use a wetting agent, a true detergent. The best place to find those is at horse and farm supplier, horse shampoo which removes the dirt, but does not strip natural oils from the hair.

It sterilizes and cleans all those little crack s in your kitchen and bathroom. With a flu epidemic upon us, this might be a good investment.

https://www.amazon.com/Dry-Vapor-Steam-Cleaner/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3ADry Vapor Steam Cleaner

Archived