Chapala.com Webboard

Organic grocery like Whole Foods near by?

Dan M

I am moving to Chapala and  I'm wondering if anyone knows of any healthy organic grocery stores like Whole Foods or Sprouts in Guadalajara?  I found one called FRESKA on line but am not familiar with it. I am familiar with Soriana's and Walmart and Super Lake  and have read all about Poncho's new store... what ever it is named?   I'm willing to drive 45 minutes to an hour once every week or two if anyone has any recommendations. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, mexbound said:

You nailed it. There is a store in Guadalajara called "Fresko". The one I go to is on Lopez Mateo near Costco. I think it is a store much like Whole Foods. 

https://grupolacomer.com.mx/corporativo/nuestra-historia

Fresko does have organic foods. It is part of the Comercial Mexicana [Mega] group La Comer. Comercial Mexicana used to own 50% of Costco Mexico since they entered Mexico until about 5 years ago.

Fresko has wonderful looking produce not sure if it's organic. The rest of the store is just so-so. Nothing like Whole Foods in the States. IMO not worth the drive since we have organic markets here.

The Tuesday Market has organic produce, although due to the costs involved, not may are certified. The produce is locally grown and is wonderfully fresh. Some of the other food products are organic, all are healthy, but not necessarily organic.

If you are a person who only eats organic, you might want to remember that we are living in small Mexican fishing villages and either be realistic or reconsider your move.

City Market is similar to Whole Foods. The one in Juriquilla just north of Queretero is awesome. There are some in Mexico City and I believe one recently opened in Guadalajara Av. Patria 1950, Plaza Patria, 45170 Guadalajara, Jal.. They are owned by La Comer. https://www.google.com.mx/maps/place/City+Market+Plaza+Patria/@20.7122588,-103.3784473,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1sAF1QipN4dTbKE7af6Kj-W11Uin-v2yojZ6YmSLLp77LW!2e10!3e12!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipN4dTbKE7af6Kj-W11Uin-v2yojZ6YmSLLp77LW%3Dw203-h114-k-no!7i4160!8i2340!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x41c2760b1b36dd5e!8m2!3d20.7122588!4d-103.3784473

6 hours ago, luvsdawgs said:

That's a different City Market, USA-based and not present in Mexico.

This is the one Sonia mentioned.  it is indeed part of Comercial Mexicana. IMHO they are not much like Whole Foods, but they are several big steps above Soriana and others of its ilk.  It opened in late 2017 in Guadalajara's Plaza Patria.   Open daily 7:30AM to 10:00PM.

https://www.lacomer.com.mx/lacomer/doHome.action?succId=408&succFmt=200&pago=false

14 hours ago, Sonia said:

City Market is similar to Whole Foods. The one in Juriquilla just north of Queretero is awesome. There are some in Mexico City and I believe one recently opened in Guadalajara Av. Patria 1950, Plaza Patria, 45170 Guadalajara, Jal.. They are owned by La Comer. https://www.google.com.mx/maps/place/City+Market+Plaza+Patria/@20.7122588,-103.3784473,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1sAF1QipN4dTbKE7af6Kj-W11Uin-v2yojZ6YmSLLp77LW!2e10!3e12!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipN4dTbKE7af6Kj-W11Uin-v2yojZ6YmSLLp77LW%3Dw203-h114-k-no!7i4160!8i2340!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x41c2760b1b36dd5e!8m2!3d20.7122588!4d-103.3784473

Seems to me to be a very high end store. Many pictures of wine and prepared foods and cakes, etc. Didnt see loose vegetables. The fish case looked real good. I bet that place is expensive. Never seen a whole foods look that elegant.

8 hours ago, More Liana said:

That's a different City Market, USA-based and not present in Mexico.

This is the one Sonia mentioned.  it is indeed part of Comercial Mexicana. IMHO they are not much like Whole Foods, but they are several big steps above Soriana and others of its ilk.  It opened in late 2017 in Guadalajara's Plaza Patria.   Open daily 7:30AM to 10:00PM.

https://www.lacomer.com.mx/lacomer/doHome.action?succId=408&succFmt=200&pago=false

Looks like all the organic veggies are prepackaged.

2 minutes ago, michael2595 said:

Seems to me to be a very high end store. Many pictures of wine and prepared foods and cakes, etc. Didnt see loose vegetables. The fish case looked real good. I bet that place is expensive. Never seen a whole foods look that elegant.

Those photos could have been Fresko's store as it is just as elegant. I highly recommend Fresko. I do not know about the "organic" hype though.

18 hours ago, johanson said:

Isn't there a Tuesday Market in West Ajijic where only organic food is sold each week?

Is it a reasonable  assertion to be comparing the The Tuesday  Market with Whole  Foods. Most of the vegetables I see there look pathetic.

Also have you considered the conditions in which  their products are produced.Some of these people  have "dozens " of animals roaming around,

God noes what hairs and other stuff their product is exposed to. 

Given the number of people at  Lakeside  now in their 80s/ 90s  I think  our climate is more beneficial and less expensive 

But what the heck it's your money 

On 1/14/2018 at 11:23 AM, johanson said:

Isn't there a Tuesday Market in West Ajijic where only organic food is sold each week?

Where is this Tuesday organic market in Ajijic? Is there not also a Wednesday market somewhere in Ajijic? I know of a Monday market in Chapala near Soriana's but not the location for any in Ajijic. Thank you for the tips!

7 hours ago, michael2595 said:

1. Everyday items are same price as La Comer but you have a wide ranging choice unlike almost anywhere in Mexico. The store in Juriquilla is extremely busy and customer service is excellent plus they have 5 different eating areas.

2. Little in Mexico is truly certified organic. Ask to see an organic certificate and I doubt you will find one. Save your money and buy from the local markets such as the one in Chapala.

3. The gluten free section at City Market is large for a Mexican store as few people in Mexico have the need.

4. There are 9 City Markets in all of Mexico.

The tianguis in Chapala is Mondays, while the one in Ajijic is Wednesday. Jocotopec is Thursday, etc.

The English-named “markets“ on other days of the week seem to have been recent creations; some started by gringas who thought they might help some local ladies, etc.

Organic?  Anything that is not a mineral.  Only that, can you be sure of.

14 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

Is it a reasonable  assertion to be comparing the The Tuesday  Market with Whole  Foods. Most of the vegetables I see there look pathetic.

Also have you considered the conditions in which  their products are produced.Some of these people  have "dozens " of animals roaming around,

God noes what hairs and other stuff their product is exposed to. 

Given the number of people at  Lakeside  now in their 80s/ 90s  I think  our climate is more beneficial and less expensive 

But what the heck it's your money 

We must go to different markets. I go to the Tuesday Farmer's Market every week. The produce is the freshest I have found. Stuff lasts for a week or more if we don't eat it all. I spent summers on a farm when I was a kid so I don't stress about a few farm animals near the tomatoes. And I wash the produce.

Keep buying your produce from Walmart  where it sits in a warehouse for a week and gets sprayed with chemicals so it looks fresh - leaves more selection for me.

9 hours ago, Dan M said:

Where is this Tuesday organic market in Ajijic? Is there not also a Wednesday market somewhere in Ajijic? I know of a Monday market in Chapala near Soriana's but not the location for any in Ajijic. Thank you for the tips!

Its on the west side of Ajijic before you get to La Huerta on the south side of the carreterra

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 1:23 PM, johanson said:

No. Various things sold there. Some might be organic.

• 7 months later...

IMHO this is the number one thing lacking in the LC-Ajijic area. Tuesday market is good and the 3 large stands which sell fresh produce are generally swamped with long lines, and depleted by 11. 

If I miss the Tuesday Market I'm forced to go to Lakeside where the local lettuces of Unknown Origin or quality are apparently put on the shelves early in the day, sitting unrefrigerated. By the afternoon they're not fit for a stew. The other alternative they offer is a refrigerated boxed spinach and/or mixed lettuce, organic from Earthbound Farms, which costs $9 a box for the exact same item I pay $5 for in San Diego.

This is not intended in any way as a dig for life in these parts. It's a beautiful environment with much to offer but if you're accustomed to Southern California healthy produce options you will find the fruit vegetables and lettuce options quite Limited and often not of the best quality. The Wednesday Market has huge vegetable stands with lots of product and generally in pretty good condition so that's another alternative. I've purchased both Fish and Chicken there and found them both to be fresh and flavorful. 

Hope that's helpful! ♥ 

The tianguis on Wednesday in Ajijic: pretty much all the produce sellers get their goods from the Abastos market in Guad, same as the local small shops. The earlier they get there, the better their choices. However, there are also those that save on their costs by ignoring the A and B grades and settling for the C (you can tell when apples are puny what grade they are). Only the devil knows what sources WalMart uses; probably the leftovers that the big stores in Guad don't want.

There's a shop in San Antonio that specializes in fresh fruit and veg along with the usual corner-store stuff. Family owned, and the Señora always comes up with the freshest and best-priced items. I personally don't care to shop at the gringo-driven markets with their so-called organic goods and their overly-high prices for most items.

However, this is still Mexico, and even though lakeside is massively populated by expats looking to replicate home, it ain't happened yet and I'm hoping it doesn't. Let's see what Pancho has to offer in his new store in Riberas opening later this month.

Re Pancho------if enough people request organic produce and he sees that there is demand for it, im sure he would get it;  otherwise, you can expect the usual commercial product.  When he first opened his small store he gave out some fresh vegetables; when i looked at the label, i was surprised to see it was organic, and grown in mexico-------ive never seen that item again.

Archived