Chapala.com Webboard

Construction started mountain side at Ajijic Clinic Hospital

sm1mex

Is the bicycle path going to be on the north side of the carretera?  A friend has insisted to me that the work done on the south side was to be the bike lane but that makes no sense to me as the existing bike lane is on the north side and having cyclists cross the highway to continue through Ajijic seems rather dangerous.

11 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Always planned for the north side; in fact, many of us are still wondering why they spent so much money on the other side. The whole project was to have been completed for the fiestas. Hah.

Because the southside had the sewer connections that had to be replaced and over the years the road had been repaved may times down the middle of the carretera leaving a ditch between the roadway and the sidewalk, a dangerous condition.  Also, it boasted one of the worst sections of sidewalk in town diagonally from OXXO....you might well ask how long the government had the money for this project--which was going through regardless of how the sham vote went--and why was it started at the beginning of tourist season.

The new sidewalk is really nice, makes it super easy to get to Bruno's for my esposa's Beisbol Filet fix.  :)

I wonder however if they are going to extend the bike path all the way over the top of the hill going west to make it truly continuous.  That is a much longer distance.  If not, that part would be pretty hazardous for cyclists, defeating much of the purpose.

My question has always been, when and if the bike lane is completed, where will the businesses on that side load and unload? There are several glass stores, Mia's, restaurant's etc. Will they pull in and block off the bike lane? Or, will the lane be secure with posts so they can't do that?  It will be very interesting to see what happens...besides more traffic congestion.

28 minutes ago, cafemediterraneo said:

Because the southside had the sewer connections that had to be replaced and over the years the road had been repaved may times down the middle of the carretera leaving a ditch between the roadway and the sidewalk, a dangerous condition.  Also, it boasted one of the worst sections of sidewalk in town diagonally from OXXO....you might well ask how long the government had the money for this project--which was going through regardless of how the sham vote went--and why was it started at the beginning of tourist season.

Yes, and okay, my comment was rather tongue-in-cheek. It needed to be done, and it should have been done years ago.  But doing it changed the whole job description and added months and months to the start date of the darned northside sidewalk. Your points about the money, the sham, and the tourist season are well-taken.

As as ibarra rightly points out, the concept of shoppers and delivery trucks parking across the street from their destinations to load and unload is ridiculous. I won't hold my breath waiting to see how quickly transitos start handing out tickets and towing away vehicles that are parked "in the bike lane".

Archived