Chapala.com Webboard

New seafood restaurant across from Super Lake

bdlngton

Ate there on New Year's Eve with friends.  Can't comment on their fish and chips but the seared tuna was amazing.  The people are really nice. 

55 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

This a new place or Tabarka?

CG...tag says it is in former Poutine Place location across from SL.  Too bad it isn't in the site of Poutine Place's new location in Ajijic....PP served me perhaps my worst meal in MX ever.  

58 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

CG...tag says it is in former Poutine Place location across from SL.  Too bad it isn't in the site of Poutine Place's new location in Ajijic....PP served me perhaps my worst meal in MX ever.  

Right, thanks. I never seem to notice the tags.

3 hours ago, dennis clark said:

Had their fish and chips yesterday. the fish was baby shark.Good fries. very nice people.

Baby shark = dogfish, or mudshark. A very hard to sell item in northern waters, both east and west coast, where it is considered a "trash" fish. They seem to accept it in the U.K. however, where it becomes a lower cost fish and chips item using "rock salmon". Interestingly, in the Bay of Banderas in Mexico, thousands were harvested for their livers. Mexico exported drums of shark liver oil to U.S. troops in WWII. They are still fairly abundant, especially in the Punta Mita area, my lawyer often fishes for them at night with a handline. I thought all sharks were protected now in Mexico, maybe not the lowly Dogfish.

I had a fish taco at this place today.  The fish was cazón, which the waiter called baby shark. In researching I find it is also called dogfish.  The taco was a piece of fish (I had mine battered and deep fried) on a tortilla.  Nothing else included but there is a little salsa bar that also includes cole slaw.  To me the fish was not that great.  I prefer the mahi mahi at Lake Taco. I also prefer the breading there.  Some in the group today had other dishes they thought were great, especially the quesadilla Rockefeller.  

Not impressed. Friends loved the ahi tuna but the tacos are bland and skimpy on the fish. The salad bar to dress them up was awkward as there is no place to set your plate down while you're holding up the covers on the condiments to spoon them out; it's a two handed operation. No cilantro which I love on fish tacos. Cole slaw with mayo instead of shredded cabbage. I asked for battered and fried but got plain and barely warm and somewhat "grilled" which means a frying pan. Cabo style it is not. We had to ask three times for limes.

Archived