Chapala.com Webboard

Yahoo News hahahaha

modeeper

Deadly armed clashes erupted in Chihuahua state in Mexico due to drug trafficking-fuelled violence. The state, home to popular beach destinations such as Acapulco, Ixtapa and Zihuatanejo, is also one of the poorest states in Mexico and among the hardest hit by organized crime.

I love it!  Maybe they think the big one that is going to put the entire west coast under the Pacific will make Chihuahua state ocean front!  Someone sure didn't major in geography--or maybe they did given how pathetic the colleges are these days.  :)

Or maybe they were " fuelled" by too much Tequila!

Don't delay, buy your beach property now.  You wouldn't even need a bank trust to own it!

That's the laugh.  The narco violence is just business as usual.  :(

2 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

I love it!  Maybe they think the big one that is going to put the entire west coast under the Pacific will make Chihuahua state ocean front!

Don't delay, buy your beach property now.  You wouldn't even need a bank trust to own it!

hahaha 

I don't know about you but I'm longing for some cliff diving.  What's the bus fare to Chihuahua?

1 hour ago, Ferret said:

I think it's that Yahoo News got the State incorrect and used bad English. Perhaps they have a faulty keyboard.

It's easy to confuse Chihuahua with Guerrero.  In Guerrero, the state that bears the name of a cute little dog, you can cross over to Texas and enjoy their famous Washington State apples, then return in time for the annual Desert Jet Ski Regatta.  

9 minutes ago, modeeper said:

It's easy to confuse Chihuahua with Guerrero.  In Guerrero, the state that bears the name of a cute little dog, you can cross over to Texas and enjoy their famous Washington State apples, then return in time for the annual ocean jet ski regalia.  

OMG! What ARE you smoking? Perhaps you should write for yahoo news.

2 minutes ago, Ferret said:

OMG! What ARE you smoking? Perhaps you should write for yahoo news.

A Marlboro Lite.  Is there a shop in Ajijic that sells personalities?

In American English, the verb fuel is inflected fueled and fueling—with one l. In all other main varieties of English, it becomes fuelled and fuelling—with two l‘s. Outside the U.S., meanwhile, the American forms have not caught on much; the two-forms still prevail by a large margin in the U.K., Ireland, Australia, South Africa, and New Zealand...

I love it!  Maybe they think the big one that is going to put the entire west coast under the Pacific will make Chihuahua state ocean front!  Someone sure didn't major in geography--or maybe they did given how pathetic the colleges are these days.  :)

Geography is/was taught in elementary school, it may have been dropped as nonessential.  Nowadays one needs an update course every few years.

10 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

In American English, the verb fuel is inflected fueled and fueling—with one l. In all other main varieties of English, it becomes fuelled and fuelling—with two l‘s. Outside the U.S., meanwhile, the American forms have not caught on much; the two-forms still prevail by a large margin in the U.K., Ireland, Australia, South Africa, and New Zealand...

Absolutely agree and that's why I noted that it was bad English and not bad spelling. Besides the State being obviously incorrect, it should have read "due to violence fuelled by drug trafficking".

There is not a day that goes by without reading some error in spelling or grammar or content in ALL news outlets. Pardon me, but it's f***ing disgraceful.

^ Boy is it ever.  The fuelled is not so bad if the writer is a Brit.  But if he/she is British (perhaps even Canadian) they should know International English.  

3 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Not recommended.  Plenty of cliffs to dive off of but only rocks at the bottom.  And you can take that for granite!

Or basalt.

Due to the very heavy influence of the U.S., Canadians swing both ways on whether to use two Ls, or one in fuelled. Most if not all Cdn papers and books, that will be widely read in the U.S., will use the American spelling, whether it's write or wrongue. Fuelled would be considered international. Or Globish. They're: I have fulfilled my dream as an editor, and added some colour to this thread. I will hit the motorways knowing I can speel the way their telling me too.

^^^

Honour, centre is not International English.

Sup dawg! is not International English.

Bingo wings is not International English.

Roundabout (Traffic Circle) is not International English.

Yes, maybe it is American English.  England is a smallish Island.  Canada has the population of Mexico DF.  Get my drift?

There are grammatical rules in journalism, plenty of them.  Yahoo is not Yahoo LTD.  

If you want Canadian news you search. ca.yahoo.com, Mexico, mx.yahoo.com.

ca.yahoo.com will give you all the centeres and honours you could ever dream of. (Oops, I ended a sentence with a preposition, my bad!)

ACAPULCO, Mexico -- Violent clashes involving gunmen .....

state police killed 11 people in the troubled southern state of Guerrero on Sunday

Ha! They've been reading this forum.

Archived