Chapala.com Webboard

Dogs ?

rcy

We also have 4 dogs.  We own our home so there's no issue with any landlord/rental.  The area is pretty dog friendly, in general.  Sadly, there have been issues over the years with dogs being poisoned by several sick and twisted individuals.  A pet owner must be careful and diligent with their fur babies in public to ensure they don't get into tainted meat or have run-ins with some street dogs that aren't on a leash and may be aggressive.

Some restaurants welcome your pets while others do not permit them to join you while you dine.  Be sure to follow the rules posted online about bringing your pets into Mexico.  Generally driving in with them is less problematic than flying in.

Wishing you great success with your transition to the Chapala area.

Valerie :)

Some of the gated communities have limits on the dogs they allow. And ofc, ppl have 10 dogs when the rules say 2. But generally the rules are lenient and easy to check out. Outside of gated communities, if there are rules (for home owners), they are invisible. You should be able to check around and find housing that works for you without much trouble.

Dogs in restaurants are prohibited, by law.

Street dogs are generally something you step over, as they sleep on the sidewalk. Some can be a bit territorial, so don‘t offend them. Cross the street.

“Furbaby“ people are weird.  Normal dog owners are well behaved.

Hotels generally do not permit pets. Some no-tell motels will allow them; or do not know you have them.  Plan your stops early enough to find a place to stay.

Rv this is not correct..some  hotels do accept dogs,. We have 5 and once in a while we drive to chiapas with our dos 2 small and 2 medium.. Many hotels do not accept dogs but some do if they do not run lose in the room, are not left alone and do no sleep in the bed.. 

We never had to stay in a motel with them however travelling with medium and large dogs is a pain as the are not allowed in many places. 

Our neighbors always had  more dogs than we do and they rent so it is possible, but they rent unfurnished houses, I would imagine than finding a furnished place with 4 dogs would be more difficult.. Finding an unfurnished place is not easy either. 

Finding a place to rent for a visit with 4 dogs may not be easy especially now that the demand for rental is high.. 

48 minutes ago, modeeper said:

:P  That's a knee slapper.

It wasn't funny for a friend of mine who was attacked by a pack of seven, had to be hospitalized, and it took months for her recovery. She was out for a walk in a nearby neighborhood.   A real knee slapper, eh?

11 minutes ago, bmh said:

Rv this is not correct..some  hotels do accept dogs,. .......... Many hotels do not accept dogs but some do .......... 

That is exactly the meaning of the word, “generally“, used in my original post.  Actually, it can be difficult to find a hotel that accepts pets, but easier to find a motel that does accept them.  New arrivals are generally unfamiliar with the difference between hotels and motels in Mexico.  Some do, some don‘t.  Most hotels don‘t.  Some newbies are, and some aren‘t familiar with the situation.

You and I are in perfect agreement.  ;)

It´s true in my experience that hotels, not motels, usually won´t allow dog as some Mexicans seem to be afraid of dogs especially small children. In that context hotels don´t want leashed dogs in the lobby,  halls or elevators.

https://www.booking.com/index.html?aid=378266;label=bdot-sf4crzPpoW1VdzwRRe9MdQS193318453571:pl:ta:p1:p21,093,000:ac:ap1t1:neg:fi:tiaud-285284111406:kwd-40978571909:lp1010163:li:dec:dm;ws=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7fn8mrjG2AIVwSOBCh3-BwUPEAAYASAAEgItk_D_BwE

Check bookingcom.mx.and click on any hotel and scrowl down and they have this on their webpage;

"Mascotas

• No se admiten."

• Pets

•They are not allowed

Just now, RVGRINGO said:

That is exactly the meaning of the word, “generally“, used in my original post.  Actually, it can be difficult to find a hotel that accepts pets, but easier to find a motel that does accept them.  New arrivals are generally unfamiliar with the difference between hotels and motels in Mexico.  Some do, some don‘t.  Most hotels don‘t.

AS I SAID WE Travel with dogs and always have found hotels that will take them with cages.. We have never stayed in the no tell motel and that is between Guadalajara and chiapas so that covers a lot of territory, we also had mastiff when we came down from california and did not stay in motel but we stopped early and had to go to several places sometimes but always found a spot.. Now this said we do not like to travel with them as it is more stressful and now we just have a house sitter that stays with them.. 

Also I would think the type and size of dogs would make a difference

7 minutes ago, gringal said:

It wasn't funny for a friend of mine who was attacked by a pack of seven, had to be hospitalized, and it took months for her recovery. She was out for a walk in a nearby neighborhood.   A real knee slapper, eh?

Huh?  Did all seven have leashes?   Am I going too fast ferya?  If it has a leash it isn't a street dog.    

OP: Nah, Mexicans aren't anal enough to worry about how many dogs you have.  I'm renting a small house where the last renter had 12.   Up the street there's a gated house that has ... damn, I don't know how many dogs he has, they are out of view, sounds like about 30.

People moving with dogs, especially large ones, may not have room for cages in their car.  We never had cages, and our dogs were not accustomed to them, but were quite docile on leashes.  When moving, cages would have been impossible to carry in the vehicle, which was packed tight.  Conditions, people and lodging places all differ. No argument there.

13 minutes ago, modeeper said:

Huh?  Did all seven have leashes?   Am I going too fast ferya?  If it has a leash it isn't a street dog.    

OP: Nah, Mexicans aren't anal enough to worry about how many dogs you have.  I'm renting a small house where the last renter had 12.   Up the street there's a gated house that has ... damn, I don't know how many dogs he has, they are out of view, sounds like about 30.

Oh yeah, you're going too fast ferme.   I didn't say they were street dogs.  It turned out that all seven belonged to nearby neighbors and of course they were unleashed.   Don't dogs have the natural RIGHT to run free?  ...and they would never, ever "pack up" and attack other animals or people.  (Except out in the country where I once lived, but those couldn't have been real dogs). 

What are people thinking as they tap out "smart" replies.  They aren't. 

RVGringo cages can be folded, We had 2 cages in each car  and the cages can be opened up and one fits in the other.. All of our dogs are kennel trained from the little ones to the big ones so once in the hotel they can stay in the kennel  without making a fuss and they sleep in them without a peep. Also the cleaners feel safer if the dogs are in a cage as many are scared of dogs..  

There was a hotel in Orizaba that is now close but they used to allow us with all the dogs only after 8 pm when the head housecleaner was gone..

By the way before moving to Mexico I called every hotel I could find in the internet to get reservations with dogs and none accepted dogs so that made me extremely nervous. We moved in July and stay in Tucson a couple of days and put the dogs in an Kennel with A/C .. THen we got our nerve up and crossed the border. The first night we stayed in Guaymas, thr ewas a fishing festival and there were no hotels abailable.. but asking around we found a family that rented rooms in their house and after we conviced then that the dogs would sleep in their cages we had no problems.. In Navajoa we found a hotel , resort type that let us stay because we had cages..In Tepic we stayed in the center of town, again because we had cages..SO cages helped us but then we were travelling with large mastiffs so the fear factor was alive and well...Now we have hairless dogs so that takes care of  not wanting dogs because they have flees.. hairless do not have flees or if they do they leave quickly and can be seen..

A little off topic:

You know what works for keeping your dog out of trouble for a short period of time?  They are called, rasquera (sp).  Those cages they put their gallos in.  They are bottomless, hence rasquera (scratchers).  Like if I go to the corner store for a tad I drop that cage over him so he won't dig a hole or chase the cats.

27 minutes ago, gringal said:

Always glad to share information.:D

RU Alberta country or Appalachia country?

If you read the OP you'll see the comical comment I quoted.  You quoted my quote.  That means you actually quoted the OP's statement; street dogs with leashes.  Since street dogs with leashes are as ubiquitous as homeless street people with BMWs .....

You're just so trigger-happy to dump on me that your displeasure over-comes humility.  Put me on ignore, please!  I'm tired of ya.

We're not a match; I'm urban, you're country.  I grew up with the complexity of sharing social space with 10 million others, while you tended the chickens.

2 minutes ago, modeeper said:

RU Alberta country or Appalachia country?

If you read the OP you'll see the comical comment I quoted.  You quoted my quote.  That means you actually quoted the OP's statement; street dogs with leashes.  Since street dogs with leashes are as ubiquitous as homeless street people who drive BMWs.....

You're just so trigger happy to dump on me that your displeasure over-comes humility.  Put me on ignore, please!  I'm tired ofya.

That wasn't the OP who said that.  Trigger happy? Only when someone is eager to attempt put-downs on another poster, and I'm afraid that's you, all over the web board and with many posters.  I'm not the only one tired of that.  Why not try just being civilized?

It's useless to put people on "ignore" since others will quote them anyway, so I never bother.  When someone gets obnoxious enough, the mods generally send them on vacation.

You and I had a misunderstanding.  I commented on a dog pack attack on a friend.  I understood your comment following to be in reference to that and THAT was anything but funny.  Yes, I agree that the notion of street dogs on leashes is, by definition, ridiculous.
"Alberta country or Appalachia country?"  Another example of an attempted put-down.   I'm from Alpha Centauri.

Dogs (as I see it).

There are more dogs than people Lakeside. There is a sea of dogs around... despite the effort to neuter them.. One can see and especially hear them everywhere (day and night). Foreign community homeowners are obsessed with cats and dogs. .  So just bring your 4 and adopt few more . Plenty around to be adopted. You will be a hero.

4 minutes ago, gringal said:

Why not try just being civilized?

4 minutes ago, Islander said:

Dogs (as I see it).

There are more dogs than people Lakeside. There is a sea of dogs around... despite the effort to neuter them.. One can see and especially hear them everywhere (day and night). Foreign community homeowners are obsessed with cats and dogs. .  So just bring your 4 and adopt few more . Plenty around to be adopted. You will be a hero.

Seems our hosts don't believe much in neuter/spay.  A mobile neutering vehicle comes round my ville every two months or so.  There is never a wait.  And adoption is counter to the fact why there are so many street dogs about.  When they are small, cute and cuddly they are most welcome.  When they become under a cost/benefit analysis later in life they are shown the door. 

I've taken a few street dogs home for an audition over the years.  Seems they all had very bad habits. 

1 minute ago, Islander said:

Dogs (as I see it).

That's about it.  Bring the dogs and adopt some more. :lol:

I've come to the conclusion that some people miss their families so much that they are thinking of their pets as substitute children and grandchildren.  They have a lot of love to give and need to put it somewhere. 

Nothing wrong with that unless it gets obsessive, like having 14 canine adoptees driving the neighbors nuts.  Back in the States, I had a series of dogs or cats as companions.  Now I have a fountain "spa" for the fly-in bird population, and much enjoy watching them.  I have a lot of flowering vine "feeding stations". They wouldn't come if there were resident cats or dogs sharing the small patio.

Archived