Chapala.com Webboard

US plated car; one Temp Res spouse, one Permananet

elisabeth

We expect to come with a Temp Residency visa for my husband and a Permanent one for me.  He doesn't qualify for permanente yet, and he is attached to his car, so it works out. However, I have seen different information: I know I can't own the car, but can I drive it?  Will he have to be with me? I have consulted Sonia's website but still feel confused.

You can drive it. We are in the same situation.  However, when you do the TIP when you bring the car, be sure to tell them you will be driving the car.  They will note that in the paperwork because only you and he will be able to drive it when you are down here.

15 minutes ago, elisabeth said:

We expect to come with a Temp Residency visa for my husband and a Permanent one for me.  He doesn't qualify for permanente yet, and he is attached to his car, so it works out. However, I have seen different information: I know I can't own the car, but can I drive it?  Will he have to be with me? I have consulted Sonia's website but still feel confused.

When you get here go to see a lawyer and ask him/her that question.  Do not RELY on any Infomation you read on any forum.. 

Example:.  Congodg posted that  "Only you and he will be able to drive it"

i have an acquaintance a Mexican national who makes a living driving gringos or their vehicles to Guad or to the border or anywhere they wish to go, very often the vehicle is foreign plated.. And he is not the only one offering that service Lakeside..

So if you take your foreign plated vehicle to a mechanic for service it's illegal for him to take it for a test drive....? 

The law is very clear about who can drive a foreign plated vehicle with a TIP in Mexico. And yes, the Permanente spouse of a TIP holder can drive the vehicle with impunity... and the Temporal does NOT have to be in the car.  Others who can drive are ‘those who have a similar immgration status as the Temporal owner’, and that includes someone who has a Tourist Card. A Mexican National may NOT drive that vehicle and that would, according to law, apply to a mechanic. Yes, that happens all the time, but....

... and I agree that congodog’s Post does not reflect ‘the law’. 

On my web site is the law in English and a link to the law in Spanish. 

Who May Drive Your Foreign Plated Car in Mexico? Vehicles with Temporary Import Permits can be driven in Mexico by the importer, their spouse, their parents, grandparents, brothers or sisters, children, grandchildren even though they are not foreigners or by a foreigner who is a Tourist or Temporary Resident without the permit holder in the vehicle. Or, by a Mexican National when, whichever of the prior persons authorized to drive are in the vehicle. This means if car permit is in the name of a Temporary Resident, that person's spouse even if a Permanent Resident or a Mexican national can drive the foreign plated vehicle without the person in whose name is the car permit being in the vehicle. It also mean a Mexican national such as a maid, gardener, mechanic, bellhop, etc can not drive your vehicle without the TIP holder in the car. In the case, if caught cars have been confiscated plus fines. 

I am not sure what else one wants.

On 1/4/2018 at 5:44 PM, Sonia said:

if caught cars have been confiscated plus fines. 

I have been reading your posts for years.  You're good!

My question is how is it a person gets stopped in an unplated car, talks to a policemen, be he State, Federal or Local, and then watches the grua haul his car away?   Did that person just get here yesterday? 

My car's US registration expired 10 years ago, my drivers licence expired six years ago, my TIP expired 4 years ago.  I drive my car often, I get stopped semi often.  I drove it 40 Kilometers this morning.  I must be doing something right, eh?

I assume much of it depends on your car.  The cops don't want my car, it's a '92 model, maybe they want yours though.

If they do take your car get to the impound lot and get there quick like a bunny or they'll be nothing of value left on it.  The battery will be first to go, probably almost as soon as it arrives.

Last year I bought a motor scooter worth about 30,000 mxn for 700 Pesos.  Why so  cheap?  It spent two days impounded.

11 hours ago, mudgirl said:

So you're driving an illegal car with no registration and no driver's license and you're bragging about it. Likely no insurance either? No, you're not doing anything right, you've just been lucky so far.

Not bragging Mom, just explaining how it's done .. a prelude to an explanation:

First, if you hang out with Mexicans and watch what happens when they get stopped you might learn how it's done.  But you don't so you couldn't possibly know.

Second, Mexicans often get in their face, none of that Usted crap is heard.  Logically a tourist can't do that.  But if one speaks Mexican Spanish well enough to clue the cops to 1, you haven't just arrived 2, you are in no way intimidated.  

Now if you're in a richie's vehicle and dressed to the nines and talk like a four-year-old don't even brother.  You're the person he's been hoping for.

I assume once he sees my car is illegal he looks at my car and makes a decision if he wants it or not.  As I mentioned he won't want mine.

Here is basically my line:  "I know where I stand with the illegality of my car, I won't lie, you're too smart to be lied to.  There is no food in our house.  Since this is the only vehicle I have, this is the vehicle I am forced to use.  I am caught in a web; to get a new TIP I have to present myself with my car at the border.  How do I get there without being stopped a hundred times?"  

There is a way to get to the border without plates or a TIP with a special permit you can get by mail from DF.  So you're assuming the cop doesn't know that.  If he does know and goes ahead and explains the procedure to you, thank him very much for the education and assure him you'll do just that. 

Works for me.   

I don't understand what making assumptions about other posters and pushing a superior attitude does for you, but obviously you find it entertaining.

FYI, I speak fluent Spanish, have lived in Mexico for 16 years, have plenty of Mexican friends, and am not at all clueless about how things work here. I just don't happen to be someone who prides themselves on getting away with not respecting the laws of the country I chose to live in.

On 1/6/2018 at 11:11 AM, mudgirl said:

I don't understand what making assumptions about other posters and pushing a superior attitude does for you, but obviously you find it entertaining.

FYI, I speak fluent Spanish, have lived in Mexico for 16 years, have plenty of Mexican friends, and am not at all clueless about how things work here. I just don't happen to be someone who prides themselves on getting away with not respecting the laws of the country I chose to live in.

16 years? Is that all?  Jeez, Los Angeles is more Mexican than your community. 

After you tell me how in touch you are you make a statement like: on getting away with not respecting the laws of the country I chose to live in.

The law here is based in the manner in which you pay your morida; hidden and not in public view.  There has been five murders in this little pueblo where I have lived for three years.  How many were investigated?  ZERO

Respect for the law?  The law isn't respected, cops are a hated.  There was an article in The Mexico City News about 20 years ago.  It was a poll where people were asked:  "You're walking on some street in DF and you are accosted and robbed.  Who would you prefer the robber is, a policeman or an ordinary thief?"  Almost 100% chose the regular thief.  "A thief will leave me with bus fare to get home, the cop will take it all."

Check this, I've had maybe 2000 Mexican children as students.  Somewhere along the line we talk about occupations.  I ask the kids to talk about their parent's jobs.  NOT ONCE in all that time, with all those students has a kid raised his hand and said .. "My father is a policemen." or "My mother is a prozie."  That'd be like confessing, my father is a mobster, a mafioso, a hit man.

Cops simply adore people like you and your weekend bridge club ... You're meat on the table.  

Mexico is in the top 20 most corrupt countries on the planet, 5 rank points above North Korea.  The children learn to be corrupt before they reach the age of 10.  It starts with the parents never following through with their threats of punishment.  And from there sinks into the swamp.  

IMHO of course.

14 hours ago, modeeper said:

Here is basically my line:  "I know where I stand with the illegality of my car, I won't lie, you're too smart to be lied to.  There is no food in our house.  Since this is the only vehicle I have, this is the vehicle I am forced to use.

Walking this morning in downtown Chapala I noticed many cars that had obvious problems. California one without any sign of a TIP. Texas one with 2011 inspection sticker and no TIP. Expired tags of various Mexican states without any registration stickers, for lack of a name. A bunch of CDMX plates too.

Doesn't seem that many locals care about legalities.

Some folks suffer from MambyPamby-ismo.  I figure it'd cost me at least 3000mxn to do my car at the border.  That's about 15 mordidas paid in full.  That's about a 3-year stretch.  Mama didn't raise no fools!  

1 hour ago, modeeper said:

16 years? Is that all?  Jeez, Los Angeles is more Mexican than your community. 

After you tell me how in touch you are you make a statement like: on getting away with not respecting the laws of the country I chose to live in.

The law here is based in the manner in which you pay your morida in the correct manner; hidden and not in public view.  There has been five murders in this little pueblo where I have lived for three years.  How many were investigated?  ZERO

Respect for the law?  The law isn't respected, cops are a hated.  There was an article in The Mexico City News about 20 years ago.  It was a poll where people were asked:  "You're walking on some street in DF and you are accosted and robbed.  Who would you prefer the robber is, a policeman or an ordinary thief?"  Almost 100% chose the regular thief.  "A thief will leave me with bus fare to get home, the cop will take it all."

Check this, I've had maybe 2000 Mexican children as students.  Somewhere along the line we talk about occupations.  I ask the kids to talk about their parent's jobs.  NOT ONCE in all that time, with all those students has a kid raised his hand and said .. "My father is a policemen." or "My mother is a prozie."  That'd be like confessing, my father is a mobster, a mafioso, a hit man.

Cops simply adore people like you and your weekend bridge club ... You're meat on the table.  

Mexico is in the top 20 most corrupt countries on the planet, 5 rank points above North Korea.  The children learn to be corrupt before they reach the age of 10.  It starts with the parents never following through with their threats of punishment.  And from there sinks into the swamp.  

IMHO of course.

Although Modeeper likes to stir the pot I have to say what he has written here is completely consistent with my own observations and what our Mexican friends universally state.  Regards the police, it is a big reason that most of the crime is not reported in this country. 

Image result for What percent of Mexico controlled by criminals?

And sadly Mexico is sinking in the corruption rankings, not rising.  We don't have to even look beyond our trashy, potholed local streets to grasp the implications of tax money going into grafting politician pockets and bloated payrolls instead of services.  That too has gotten far worse in recent years.  10 years ago paying far lower taxes the streets were kept in repair, the trash was picked up regular as clock work and there were local workers keeping things up.  Now that is only the case in Chapala.

One can live here successfully by recognizing things as they are, not how the naive would like them to be.   A large area of this country is not effectively controlled by government.  What government there is, is largely corrupt and inept and seems to be becoming more so, not less. 

You are the primary source of your own security and many of services normally supplied by government.   Taxes are low and they should be since they buy so little here. 

But the weather is unbeatable by any standard.  :)

24 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

You are the primary source of your own security and many of services normally supplied by government. 

Beautiful!  That's why those murders here in my pueblo never got an investigation.  And nobody wants cops in their home or even on their property.

As per your excellent post, there are lots of cities here that have no mayors.  They did have 2 or 3 but they got topped.  Now nobody wants the job. 

Settling your own scores has a huge advantage IMO.  Nobody sues anybody, you never hear, "I'm going to call the cops!"   You are forced to think first, try harder to get along, work stuff out on your own.   

Mods!! This modeeper turd is offensive.  Please ban him and delete all his posts or I'll never return to this forum!!!  

Archived