Chapala.com Webboard

Pregnant donkey attacked by dog -can anyone help?

Animal lovers: I have just come back from a walk and was passing near Galeana and Encarnation Rosas ( Dona Donuts street) running parallel and north of Lazero Cardenas.  There is a piece of land  owned by the Axixic indigenous people. (There is a sign on the fence) . There are two donkeys tethered there and the larger female has been badly attacked by a dog.  She is bleeding profusely from the hind quarters and from her face.   I thought it was a red cloth tied to her face but it was blood. There are some people there with her but my Spanish is insufficient to know if they are the owners or just passers by.  

Is anyone on this board familiar with the place / owners?  Does anyone know a local vet?  I am willing to help pay the vet bill if someone can connect me to a good vet who will make a house call to this donkey.  If these injuries are not treated she risks infection and apparently she is pregnant so the fetus is also at risk.

All help and advice welcome

Feewee

The  number I have for Dr. Pepe Magana is 331-182-2955, or 333-496-7078. He lives near Chapala and may be available.

Sadly, these donkeys were attacked by 7 dogs on New Year's Day.  The burros belong to my maid/friend's brother.  He was devastated when he came upon the damage and destruction and almost death of the pregnant one.  The dogs ravaged most of her face and her nether-regions as well.  It's a miracle the unborn fetus is still kicking and seems to be alive.  This little burro also has an almost one year old baby as well and it was attacked viciously, too.  Absolutely devastating!  I talked with Pepe Magana on Saturday and he told me he was doing everything possible to save the mother, the fetus and the almost one year old burro.  He's visiting daily, giving antibiotics, etc.  He is not hopeful that the mother will survive but is trying to keep her alive long enough for the fetus to gestate.  My maid/friend and her brother are just so upset.  It seems that these dogs are let out from their owner's property (a well known upper Ajijic Restaurant) at night and roam freely through the upper Ajijic area.  If they can do this kind of damage to these burros, imagine what could happen to a child, a Senior or even an active adult.  

I do intend to tell the Restaurant owner that I will no longer be a patron and why.  So far, he has not been particularly helpful nor concerned with the care.  After talking about this with our Mexican neighbors, they told me the pack of dogs was back on the street just 2 nights later.  While I don't blame the dogs (directly), I do fault the owner for not keeping this pack of dogs within the walls of his fenced in property.

It's all terribly upsetting.  And yes, thanks for making this public.  I thought about it and then didn't want to stir the pot but now that it's been mentioned, I thought I should share more information.  We made a donation to Dr. Pepe to help pay for the costs of the care.  I encourage other pet lovers to help if possible.

Valerie :(

Funny I don't recall seeing the donkeys were running loose in the streets.  Fencing in donkeys or otherwise keeping them on one's property is a whole lot simpler and cheaper than fencing out vicious dogs. 

Exactly why is it OK for this pack to be running the streets?  What will they attack next?  People?  It happens a lot with loose dog packs, folks.

And then some wonder why we have dog poisoners....

32 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

If the restaurant is truly the owner of the pack of dogs, then you would not be remiss to post their name here so we can all do our part.

I think most of us know who it is. I don't patronize it because of their food.  I can't double boycott it,  but would if I could.

Why are you not stating the owner's name, why do you feel you need to protect them and not the public?  Packs of dogs are extremely dangerous, they kill for the fun of it, not because they need to eat. If you ever saw what they can do to a flock of sheep, herd of cows or deer, you would not be protecting the owner. Where I came from dogs doing this can be shot on sight. I remember one case where the pack was chasing a deer and a little 5 year old girl got in their way. She was killed. They will kill anything that moves when they are in that pack state of mind. We were warned by our game warden not to get between them and their prey.

My Maid/friend has arrived this morning and I've asked for an update on the Burros.  Seems the owner of the restaurant is now paying the medical/veterinary expenses.  Dr. Pepe has taken a back seat to another Vet, Dr. Rodolfo Aron Torres Perez, who is now treating the burros.

The pregnant female continues to be the most "at risk" and they have had to remove dead body tissue from her face and vaginal areas.  Yesterday and this morning, many worms had to be removed from the wounds as well.  She has difficulty eating because of the damage done to her face and mouth.  I understand a kind Ex-Pat has been bringing her some type of ground up straw/hay soaked in water to make it easier for the burro to chew and swallow.

Luis, our neighbor and occasional worker told us on Saturday that as he was walking from his home on Carranza to our home, he heard barking and when he turned around, he saw the pack running towards him.  He had to jump up onto the top of a car to escape as he feared they would bite him as they did the burros.

I do intend to talk to the owner of the restaurant and ask that he keep the dogs in his fenced area as I fear for the safety of our neighbors as well as local animals.

Many thanks to those of you who have reached out and are trying to help.

Valerie 

6 minutes ago, luvsdawgs said:

Why are you not stating the owner's name...

This is not the only thread on the tradgety. The other said it was:

Min Wah Restaurant

Callejon Al Tepalo 96A, Centro, 45920 Ajijic, Jal.

The Libel Laws are pretty strong in the State of Jalisco and even though I am certain of the truth in this situation, I do not wish to be tied up in a Legal battle with the owner of this Restaurant.  I will contact him, in person, and express my concerns.  As I said earlier, this is a well known, somewhat popular Restaurant in Upper Ajijic.  The dogs are kept in a fenced area somewhat behind/to the side of the Restaurant.  

I believe most/many can extrapolate from this description the name of the Restaurant.

Valerie

You or the owner of the burro need to make a denuncia and have the police shoot the dogs.. This is dangerous for an other person or animal and especially person with animals. One dog has to be the leader of the pack and should be either locked up or shot. and if another dog becomes the leader the same thing has to happen. Dog packs are dangerous.

We lived next to a farm wit sheep in California and when we moved in the farmer warned us.. do not let your dog run free or it will be shot, , it was a miniature poodle.. not large enough to harm any sheep but that dog could have gotten the larger dogs excited and the whole pack could have attacked.

I would not get into a boycott , I would have the police shoot the dog..It is totally irresponsible to let a large dog lead a pack  that attacks. .. Maybe after he pays the bill the owner will have a clue..

If the wound has worms they could be maggots and they are eating the dead flesh and helping the wound.. but it sounds like a really bad wound. poor thing.. if she was tied down she could not defent herself.. pretty sad..

it has been my belief that most of the local dogs are not vicious. That belief comes from the knowledge watching one street dog getting somewhat aggreaggressive and Iit didn't take too long for him to disappear. Makes sense as it takes the aggression out of the gene pool and keeps us safe.

Valerie, why doesn't the vet complain to the police? That might make it more official and less personal? 

5 hours ago, thevalerieleigh said:

The Libel Laws are pretty strong in the State of Jalisco and even though I am certain of the truth in this situation, I do not wish to be tied up in a Legal battle with the owner of this Restaurant.  I will contact him, in person, and express my concerns.  As I said earlier, this is a well known, somewhat popular Restaurant in Upper Ajijic.  The dogs are kept in a fenced area somewhat behind/to the side of the Restaurant.  

I believe most/many can extrapolate from this description the name of the Restaurant.

Valerie

There is another thread on this and Min Wah has been named. The libel laws are not criminal any longer they are civil, and if what has been written is true, it is not libelous.

Let's face it, every restaurant on the north side is "well known". Pedro's Gourmet, for example. So you would have me guessing Peter is the culprit? Or the donut shoppe?

And luvsdawgs is correct. If it's true it ain't libel.

It seems Angus MacTavish has shared the information.  While I am well aware that when it's true, it isn't slander nor libel, I do not wish to spend my retirement years nor funds defending myself.

Since it has been posted here by another individual, you know the location and can do what you wish with the information.  As I stated before, my intent is to have a private conversation with the owner of the dogs who is responsible for this horrible and violent attack.

Valerie

Doesn't seem fair, does it? If you had told the name up front, you probably would have been picked on for that. Believe me when I tell you it was not my intent to do the same for not saying. But I frequent most restaurants in the area, and I wanted to know, as I'm sure did others.

A happy, cautiously positive update:  Seems the pregnant Burro is eating a bit now and showing good signs of some recovery.  Her almost 1 year old offspring is now able to run and jump a bit and seems well on the way to recovery.  We continue to watch her closely and when time comes for the birth, the family has been told to monitor her constantly and the Vet. will be called to help with the birth in the hopes of avoiding a hemorrhaging situation as her flesh in that area has been torn away and she has multiple stitches to keep her held together at this time.  Many thanks for those of you who have been kind and supportive throughout this unfortunate and frightening situation.

Valerie :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I just posted an update on the two donkeys on the other thread asking about it.  I'm cautiously optimistic, as is the family who owns them.

Many thanks for your continued care and concerns.

Valerie :)

Archived