Chapala.com Webboard

shipping medication to Lakeside from NOB

The shipping and duty are expensive. It is better to either bring them down here on your periodic visits up north or have someone bring them when visiting. iShop is very reliable. 

If “someone“ is carrying your meds across the border, and happens to get checked, they may end up in trouble. You can only carry your own medications, with obvious prescription label in your own name, whenever you cross the border, and only in amounts sufficient for your visit. 

There are restrictions on sending medications into Mexico.  I always had to buy mine locally.  Now, back in the USA, I get them mailed to me by the VA.

If the meds are in their original flask and that label has your name on it you can bring all you want to Mexico.  Been there done that.

My old housemate left the US for Ireland and forgot his meds.  I boxed them up and went to the Post Office.  They said, NO WAY.  So I stuffed the containers with cotton so the pills wouldn't rattle, and labeled the package as Hot Rails (those little toy racing cars) cause they come in a plastic tube as well.  The package arrived.

1 hour ago, modeeper said:

If the meds are in their original flask and that label has your name on it you can bring all you want to Mexico.  Been there done that.

My old housemate left the US for Ireland and forgot his meds.  I boxed them up and went to the Post Office.  They said, NO WAY.  So I stuffed the containers with cotton so the pills wouldn't rattle, and labeled the package as Hot Rails (those little toy racing cars) cause they come in a plastic tube as well.  The package arrived.

Shrewd...but they do randomly x-ray packages.

23 minutes ago, chicamysterious said:

There are clinics here that accept VA patients at no charge. They would also give you your meds here and charge the VA so no need to ship anything.

My experience with that, in two countries, is that the wait time for the VA to actually cut them a check takes so long they'd rather just pass.

They mark up the prices to make ip for the wait. 

Don't believe me call the American legion in chapala many of them pick up there meds there.

My husband has had MRIs and they even drove him to Guad. 

They are recommending surgery and offering to cover all cost even care at home post op.

They don't seem to mind waiting on the checks.

Call and ask. Or go to their website

A recent letter from them follows

"You are completely welcome here at Lakeside Medical Group.

If you wish to see our physicians, at no charge to you, we can seek an
authorization for an applicable surgery that would cover your entire
surgery, diagnostics, hospital fees, medications, post surgical care, etc at
absolutely no cost to you as you are registered with us and we accept your
insurance. We provide transportation also. If you wish to try to increase
your VA Rating we are currently doing the C&P Exams for the VA at no charge
to you.

Please let us know if you would like us to start getting an authorization on
your surgery. Again this is completely free of charge for you. We can be
reached at 376-766-0395 or by email or feel free to come in for a visit
anytime. It seems that you are still enrolled in our pharmacy program so
that you can pick up medications at no charge. Staff"

you must enroll in the foreign Medical Program but I believe they will help with that also. If not its fairly simple

1 hour ago, chicamysterious said:

I have Foreign Medical Program handbook and brochures but this site does not allow to send pdfs only jpegs and other photo type files. If you send me via dm your email i can email them to you.

they also cover tricare

Thanks, but I do not qualify.

Capture.PNG

2 hours ago, blankletmusic said:

The only issue with all of this is that VA will ONLY cover your service-connected disability(s). I take 3 blood pressure meds and a statin. These are unrelated to my service-connected condition.

I fold.

Archived