Chapala.com Webboard

NEW Mexican Citizenship Exam 2018

Joe Johnstun

The SRE is apparently retiring the previous citizenship exam at the end of 2017. A new one will be put into place starting January 08, 2018.

The old "Guia de Estudio" had a list of 100 Mexico-related questions with multiple choice answers.

The new "Guia de Estudio" is a list of links to scholarly treatises in esoteric Spanish totaling over 1,000 pages.

It begins with an in-depth study on the etymology of the word "history." It also touches on relevant topics such as globalization, infant mortality rates, average housing size, federal science spending, rates of sub-employment, corn production trends, & of course the entire "CONSTITUCIÓN POLÍTICA DE LOS ESTADOS UNIDOS MEXICANOS" (296 pages of highly annotated Spanish legalese).

It is entirely possible to read all of the material; somewhat less possible to memorize it all; & in the end, highly unlikely to glean any relevant information that might be buried within the avalanche of fiscal statistics & academic climaxes.

I initially thought they might only have changed the Study Guide & kept the actual test the same, but the man with whom I made my appointment at the SRE office mentioned that he thought the new test would be essay based. He didn't know anything concrete, of course, the lawyers I have talked to have no information about the new test, & there is no information online. I assume no one here knows anything either, since no one will actually see it until the new year.

My appointment is on January 8th, 2018. I will post updates here in case anyone is interested. Please comment if you have any information about the new 2018 citizenship exam.

Hoping for the best; expecting the worst.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I clicked on the link and it is merely a list of resources; for example, for language the Real Académica  (the holy grail of Spanish language and grammar) s cited; clicking its referenced link merely takes you to the homepage for this resource, not to specific content. To me, it appears that they are providing references to the content, not suggesting that one read and memorize each page of the resource.

• Like 1

Exactly - in addition to over 1,000 pages of provided reading material, there are also half a dozen links to abstract online resources such as the Virtual Library of Anthropology/History & the entire Mexican Atlas.

The Spanish part is easy. The ocean of other things I need to know in addition might also be easy. Or it might not. There's no way to tell. Uncertainty is man's best friend.

7 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

Before one gets their Depends in a wad, testing is required for only those less than 60 years old.

That would encompass the vast majority of Board Members...........................................No?

• Haha 1

Are you guys assuming that those over 60 do not take the test or is it confirmed? Since the test  or the study for the exam changed so much maybe the rules changed too..

By the way check the US test before complaining about the Mexican test, I bet you many US born citizens including the present president would probably fail..

Yep, surprise, surprise, no more mention of any age range for the new Mexican Citizenship Exam. Link to prerequisite page here, maybe you can find a mention...

I'm not complaining about the exam; I'm complaining about the new Study Guide as compared to the old one. For instance, the 2nd link in the new Study Guide leads to a page that doesn't exist. It's this kind of competence that gives me concerns about the new exam. What if they ask a question about a Mexican hero who never existed?

I was using Rolly (RIP) as my reference to the exemption by age for the history exam. Mexico's rules mimic the US's and a similar exemption there is made. I would not think that Mexico would rescind that long held waiver. Sonya's site states the over 60 exemption.

Yeah, all the sites state the old age range & the old prerequisites. The new prerequisite page states no such age range.

"Para acreditar lo señalado en la fracción III del artículo 19 de la ley de nacionalidad, a los interesados en obtener la nacionalidad mexicana por naturalización se les aplicará un cuestionario sobre cultura e historia general de México..."

May be time to update Sonya's site.

I went to the site's link and followed my nose to this:

CAPÍTULO III DE LA NACIONALIDAD MEXICANA POR NATURALIZACIÓN

ARTÍCULO 15.- Todo extranjero que pretenda naturalizarse mexicano, deberá acreditar que sabe hablar español, que conoce la historia del país y que está integrado a la cultura nacional, para lo cual deberá presentar y aprobar los exámenes de acuerdo con los contenidos aprobados por el Instituto Matías Romero de la Secretaría. En el caso del extranjero al que la Secretaría de Gobernación considere refugiado, así como cuando se trate de menores de edad y personas mayores de sesenta años, será suficiente que acrediten saber hablar español.

What I mean is that the wording of the law that states the naturalization requirements has been changed slightly twice since 2009, along with the exam itself. As you can see on the current official Naturalización Por Residencia page, they have deliberately removed the particular wording that formerly exempted minors & seniors from the exam.

I'm still holding out hope that the changes were only to that page & not to the actual exam/law. But as you can see, someone somewhere took pains to remove the mention of minors & seniors from that clause, for some reason.

If it's still in doubt when I go for my appointment in 2 (short) weeks, I'll ask about the minor/senior exam exemption.