Chapala.com Webboard

"Enter Network Password" - unable to send or receive emails

Arjay

I'm being driven to distraction by this persistent "Enter Network Password" message popping up in Outlook 2007 for the past 2 days.   I'm unable to send  or receive emails.  I've tried changing Passwords and am having no luck. 

Incidentally this coincided with receiving an email from Google saying " Sign-in attempt was blocked for your linked Google Account".  I changed my Password and then this Outlook problem began.

Can some brilliant person please help me  Many thanks.

If this is a GMail account, try this first: go to live.com and try to get into your account there. If the password is correct, you will be able to sign in. If not, you will have to go through some hoops to recover it.

If the password does work, try this:

Enabling less secure apps to access accounts

1. 1a. Click Security > Basic settings. Where is it?
  2. Under Less secure apps, select Go to settings for less secure apps.
  3. In the subwindow, select the Allow users to manage their access to less secure apps radio button.

Then, try again to log in with Outlook.

Thanks for your suggestions.  I didn't have any luck with the first part of your suggestion.  I went through many Microsoft code retrievals and answering questions which culminated in my receiving an email from Microsoft as follows:

We recently received a request to recover your Microsoft account. Unfortunately, our automated system has determined that the information you provided was not sufficient for us to validate your account ownership.  Microsoft takes the security and privacy of our customers very seriously, and our commitment to protecting your personal information requires that we take the utmost care in ensuring that you are the account owner.

Please submit a new account verification form.

At this point I don't feel comfortable submitting a new form which asks many more questions.  I don't really understand what a Microsoft account has to do with Outlook.

So I clicked on your second suggestions and got the following message:

admin.google.com is for G Suite accounts only. Regular Gmail accounts cannot be used to sign in to admin.google.com. Learn more

So I'm still locked out of my Outlook account and searching for a resolution.  Really hope you can help me.

First off, Outlook and Outlook.com are Microsoft products (one is an email client program; the other is an email Website).

Second, a "new account verification form" will ask exactly the same questions.

Third, I steered you wrong with that Google link, sorry: try this.

1. Go to the "Less secure apps" section in My Account.
  2. Next to "Access for less secure apps," select Turn on.
  3. NOTE that this may only work with GMail accounts.

Did you log into your GMail account on the Web (mail.google.com) to verify that your password is the correct one? I would have to assume you did, or you wouldn't have been able to change the setting for "less secure app", because you have to be signed in to do it.

Failing all this, based on your initial post, it "does not compute". In-depth troubleshooting will be required.

With Firefox you can view your saved passwords, Chrome too.  Don't know diddly about MS Explorer, nor do I want to.  It's possible somebody or a virus changed your password.  Too bad these net conglomerates are too big to have personal service .. you could call or write and talk to a real human and ask for help.

Now I get it.  Here, this little dude always works for me.  It will reconfigure all your Internet settings.  Just tick the little fields on the left and run.  Betcha a dala it will fix it.

https://www.rizonesoft.com/downloads/complete-internet-repair/

I use the tool all the time, but it is not for Outlook; what it does is clear out the computer's memory of all things Internet-network related. And it works like a charm to ensure that any Internet problems you are having are not in your computer, in the areas that are important to your modem. That being said, it can in no way hurt you, only help you, so go ahead and use it. Just be prepared to reboot your machine after.

The thing is here that "enter network password" means Outlook is looking for your email password so it can get into one side of the email servers... which is on a network, thus the use of the term "network"... thus the message is very misleading.

Computer Guy - I don't know if this will give you any more info to help resolve the Outlook problem, but this occurred shortly after using TunnelBear.  I used it last year and don't remember having this problem.  After that I started getting Google emails telling me about unusual activity on my account, so I changed my Google password.  Then I re-entered what I thought was my Outlook password.  And things went from bad to worse.  So I'm still up the creek.

I am not sure how TunnelBear does its magic, but I do know that you will get notices from Google and most mail services because the mail server now thinks you are in a different country than where you are supposed to be. No need to change your password when that happens. For example, just now I turned on TunnelBear to see if it made any DNS changes, which it didn't, but I expect to be bombarded with messages at each of my GMail addresses about "unusual activity".

But, you may be onto something. Unfortunately still nothing I can offer you without getting my hands on.

Archived