Chapala.com Webboard

Natural peanut butter & Greek Yogurt

ballbabe

Make your own;
Greek Yogurt  - take regular yogurt (get some good stuff from the Cremeria on Madero)  and strain it thru a fine cloth to remove more whey;
Peanut Butter: I know Peter Panderia in Centro Laguna carries natural peanut butter; you never know where you might find it; peanut butter is expensive so not really part of a mexicans diet.

Isn't the brand "Oikos" Greek yogurt? If so, then it's available in Walmart and SuperLake in various flavours and plain. The homemade peanut butter is also available at SuperLake... in a plastic tub alongside the other peanut butters... and is available in both smooth and chunky styles.

edited to add: I also think I spotted Smitty's greek yogurt in the SuperLake cooler. It just comes in a larger size than the Oikos.

4 hours ago, WideSky said:

Make your own;
Greek Yogurt  - take regular yogurt (get some good stuff from the Cremeria on Madero)  and strain it thru a fine cloth to remove more whey;

Even easier, strain the yogurt through a couple of coffee filters overnight.

There are several vendors at the Tuesday Market who sell fresh nut butters.

Deena, who is moving as of Monday to the Monday market at Sunrise Cafe, sells a good tasting Greek yogurt along with her home grown vegetables, kefirs and honey. The golden kefir actually tastes good in case you don't like the white kind, which she also has. She's easy to spot since she is probably the tallest lady in the market.:)

If you have ever lived in the Middle East, North Africa or Greece, etc., you will know that good yoghurt is almost impossible to find in North America. The commercial concoctions are particularly bad; just more “factory food“.  If you can manage to find a live culture, you might enjoy making your own yoghurt.

Archived