Chapala.com Webboard

Cardiologist Recommendation?

IMBurnen

Husband uses Dr. Hector Briseno at Quality Care; no procedures done as yet  but valves are being regularly monitored. Very thorough - ECG & stress test done in his office. I believe he is in on Thursdays but call the office and make an appointment.

There was a thread from 2014 entitled Best Cardiologist lakeside; which may give you some insights

I have had multiple interventions, over the years, by Dr. Ramon Garcia, and most recently by Dr. Briseño.  I prefer Dr. Briseño, who has placed several of my stents, and has saved my bacon.  I remain stable, thanks to him and his prescribed medications. US cardiologists have reviewed his work on DVD and admire it. None have changed any of his prescriptions.  You may trust his jusdement completely.  When I needed emergency abdominal surgery, for a gastroenterological problem, performed by Dr. Valenzuela, also of Quality Care, Dr. Briseño was right there for cardiac consultation.

24 minutes ago, bmh said:

Moonhill I do not look as being a big investor in a hospital as a recommendation .

As an investor/owner Dr Ramon Garcia will have ready access to all emergency and non emergency facilities at the new hospital. He will also have his office there and will head the Cardiology Department as he has done at hospitals in GDL. He is also a lakeside resident so in case of emergencies he is here, rather than an hour or more away in GDL. He currently sees local patients at his cardiac facility in West Ajijic. I recommend him also.

Several good recommendations here. I personally use Dr. Ramon Garcia - he has a home/office at Lakeside where he sees patients - I think mostly on Friday and Saturday but he seems to clearly be spending more and more time here.

Dr. Garcia's son is also a cardiologist (Dr. Ricardo Garcia) who has returned to Mexico after working in Europe for years - specifically in Paris. A Fellow of the European Heart Association who is retaining his European credentials primarily to stay current on the "latest and greatest" available around the world. Last time I spoke with him he was a little nervous because he was studying for a major exam to maintain those credentials - and the test was in French!

I have had several procedures and tests done by Ramon Garcia over the years and have also seen Ricardo Garcia as part of the overall process. A couple of years ago I fainted at breakfast on Easter Sunday and my wife drove me to our "regular" clinic. They called Dr. Ramon Garcia who happened to be at lakeside but was about to head back into Guadalajara. He came by the clinic (Maskaras) within 15 minutes or so and wound up driving me into his office in Guadalajara, then taking me to the hospital (San Javier), setting me up for some overnight tests and then coming back to see me first thing the next morning. He determined that I needed a pacemaker - my heart rate ranged from a low of 32 to a high of 172 overnight. My blood-pressure when I arrived at Maskaras was 60/40. I had the procedure the next day with the son - Dr. Ricardo Garcia - actually doing the catheterization to insert the pacemaker. He hit some blockage and could not complete the procedure. A few more tests and it was determined that I needed bypass surgery - in addition to the pacemaker. I am extremely lucky to be alive (how's that for an understatement)!

Dr. Ricardo Garcia then brought in a surgeon (based in Mexico City at the time) who had been studying and practicing in Germany. The surgeon brought his team (two other surgeons, scrub nurse and anesthesiologist) and I had triple bypass surgery the next day. Approaching two years now and 100% recovered - feel better than I have in more than 10 years! I spoke with some doctor friends in Houston after my surgery and they were very familiar with the techniques my surgeon used and described them as "the best of the best".

So as you can see I am a big fan! But I have also heard really great things about Dr. Briseño - you have really great choices and really can't go wrong.

I agree that being a major investor in the new hospital is not in and of itself a reason to choose a doctor. However, the two Drs. Garcia are not only investors but will be directly and heavily involved in the new facility - as will my surgeon who now is well established in Guadalajara. I have called Dr. Ramon Garcia on his cell phone more than once and he has always answered and given me exceptional attention - even once on a Friday evening when he was in Puerta Vallarta with his family.

On a final note I have had a few folks tell me that Dr. Ramon Garcia had recommended a pacemaker when it was "not needed" - even to the point of other cardiologists disputing his recommendations in some cases. The rational - as it has been relayed to me - is that Dr. Garcia recommended a pacemaker, another doctor said it wasn't needed, I didn't have it done and I am still alive. I completely understand that perspective and since I have been through open heart surgery myself I would be the first to say that choosing a doctor - especially for something as serious as coronary issues - is an extremely personal and important decision. It is called "practicing" medicine for a reason and doctors don't always agree. 

My very personal decision is that I will stick the the Drs. Garcia and their colleagues. But we are incredibly fortunate to have Dr. Briseño available as well. You really can't go wrong.

Eacellen post & I have had similar service from Dr. Ramon Garcia, who has placed some of my stents; but that was before he “retired“.  It seems that he is coming out of retirement.  I suspect that he got bored.  :)  I simply liked Dr. Briseño‘s personality and the avialability of his father as a partner in the procedures, and used him most recently.  Both are top notch, for sure.

As I said in my earlier post the choice of a doctor in any field of specialization is extremely personal and involves a number of factors. Just my personal opinion but a doctor's fees are so far at the bottom of my personal list of selection criteria that they don't even register. I can see trying to save a couple of pesos on a shirt or a box of crackers but not on a physician. But that is just my way of looking at it.

Extremely personal and I completely understand that others see it differently. At least two great choices and probably more right here in our little slice of heaven.

Archived