Chapala.com Webboard

this evening I rescued the sweetest street dog ever known to man...or woman.
i know...all us rescuers say that.  but this time it's for real... cross my heart, hope to die...truer than true.

he's neutered, so someone started him out right...deceiving him that he'd be a forever pet. only they lied, and tied him up...making him walk within dismal circles outside all day... in all weather.  so naturally, today he's a meek mannered, three-ish year-old with head-to-toe mange; and feet so swollen you'd think he'd been digging the Erie Canal.   the way I figure it, when his feet started swelling,  is about the time he'd decided he'd had enough, and chewed through the rope to freedom...whatever that might mean.  you've all seen guys like him around Lakeside...a mangy dog with a too-heavy leather strap of a collar.....with a chewed end of rope hanging off it.  the escapee from a hellish 4x4 concentration post in some  creeps's outback. 

there outta be a law.....

"born free...die free!" this little guy must'v thought, and finally chewed his way out.  he probably figgered' that wherever being free might mean, it just HAD to be better'n where he was. 

but i wonder if it was at the first street...or the tenth one that he crossed...where his timing was just slightly off, and some hit-and-run terrorist out for a little target practice behind the wheel, aimed for, and hit him....and banged him up and fractured his leg. he's been limping on that hurting and damaged leg for probably 2-3 days.  until he spotted me on my walk with scottie.

thankfully he followed me all the way to memo's...and laid there on the curb, quietly waiting his turn to be seen and his pain taken away. and Blessed be Memo...who has agreed to board him for me, patch him up, and start the healing.  I will foot the bill....but where does this sweet guy go from there? those of you who know me, know why I can't keep him,  but if you happen to know of a place with a heart...let me know too.  honest folks...this is the sweetest guy you've never known. he'd be like the most wonderful surprise under the xmas tree for someone who has a kind heart, a warm floor...and maybe a strip of bacon now and then.

oh-- what does he look like? I'll post a pic in the next few days when he's fixed up a bit.  but for now, he's a small dalmation/boxer mix...white with light brown freckles....about 40 lbs.  i will see that all his healthcare needs are met.  i lay the rest in your helpful hands. 

in keeping with the season, lets call him Nick....'Nicky' has a nice warm  "...and he lived happily ever after"  feel to it, doesn't it?  i hope you think so too!  Nick deserves a new beginning.

Merry Christmas
Carrol--766-4338.

Archived