Chapala.com Webboard

We returned to Lakeside to discover that our maid is pregnant.

She works one day a week for 5 hours for approximately 6 months, and 2.5 hours a week for the other 6 months.  We have read various things on the Web Board with differing information, so can someone please let us know what are our legal obligations?  Many thanks.

4 hours ago, Arjay said:

We returned to Lakeside to discover that our maid is pregnant.

She works one day a week for 5 hours for approximately 6 months, and 2.5 hours a week for the other 6 months.  We have read various things on the Web Board with differing information, so can someone please let us know what are our legal obligations?  Many thanks.

I guess  she is working with  other people? So check who the others are and share the expense

I've noticed that legal advice is very freely given by non-lawyers on web boards.  I suggest that the poster invest in some quality time with a real lawyer re this question.  The labor board is very much on the side of the worker in this country and the last thing you need is to end up dealing with that.  This is especially true since this maid is clearly not a full time employee.  In any case, best of luck.

14 hours ago, Yo1 said:

6weeks before and 6weeks after the birth leave with fill pay.

You are correct accoding to this news article:

"What are the rights of working mothers in Mexico?
In Mexico, the rights of working mothers are regulated mainly in the Constitution and in labor and social security laws.

According to the regime under which the mother works, it will be the applicable legislation for the case of maternity. That is, if she is a worker in the service of the State, it will be necessary to comply with the provisions of the Law of the Institute of Security and Social Services of State Workers, ISSSTE.

Otherwise, the Mexican Social Security Institute Law, IMSS, will be regulated, as well as social security legislation for the armed forces.

Constitutionally, women are protected so that during pregnancy they are not obliged to perform work that requires considerable effort and endangers their health and pregnancy.

This protection, known as incapacity for work by maternity, indicates that women must necessarily enjoy a break to take care of themselves in the final stage of pregnancy and to take care of their newborn baby (such rest includes, for the case of workers at the service of the State one month before the birth and two months after it, and, for the other labor regime, it will be six weeks before and six weeks later).

During that time they have the right to receive their full salary, two extraordinary breaks of breastfeeding per day, each half an hour and to keep their employment, as well as the rights acquired as a result of the employment relationship (such as seniority in employment, for example).

The protection is not only for the pregnant woman, also for the life and health of the unborn child.

https://espanol.babycenter.com/a14700010/la-incapacidad-por-maternidad-en-méxico

You are responsible for paying her "regular wages" for the six weeks before and six weeks after her baby's birth. If she works for others they will have the same obligation and hopefully everyone will "step up". That way she gets her regular pay from everyone - no more and no less. But of course she would appreciate anything extra that anyone is able to do. I would respectfully hope and suggest that everyone involved look at the maternity pay itself as the "floor" and not the "ceiling". Others may see this differently but there is no doubt that the minimum is her regular pay for that period.

On 12/10/2017 at 8:01 AM, geeser said:

I would demand a DNA test particularly if you wern't even here. You are only responsible if it was an accident in many states and the DNA doesn't involve you.

This has got to take the cake for this week, I think.

Archived