Chapala.com Webboard

Meandering tour between Ajijic and Oaxaca

Mainecoons

Our Oaxaca amigos are bringing their oldest daughter, the Iteso student, back to school in mid January and the four of us are then planning a leisurely ride back to Oaxaca by car.  We're doing some advanced planning and looking for tips.

If you would have like 6 days between here and there, what would be your priority places to visit?

Thanks.

I am going there for Christmas. I hosted an artist for the fair, and he sent me information on the radish festival ..

anyway, Have posted info requests for both Puebla, and Oaxaca, and have gotten some good info. 

I will be back by the end of the month, and can share all the info I can come up with. My first trip that way.Blind squirrel adventure.

Check out the Dominican route starting in Northern Oaxaca state going down or up..  It has fabulous convents and interesting town  in an area that is not travelled much..

Tecali south east of Puebla is the area where you have a zillion little talleres and large ones that work on onix.

About 4 hours of Puebla in the sierra go to Cuetzalan a nice pueblo magico in a gorgeous setting, check out Hueyapan for its nice woolen shawls and sweaters. The coop on the plaza specialize in natural dyes.. Up around Cuetzalan you have ruins and indigenous villages with nice huipiles and other types of artesanías.

If you like adventure go down Metepec , spend the night there and visit the talleres of clay work, tree of life  etc. them go to Ixtapan  a spa town and then Taxco then down the autopista to Acapulco and do the Costa Chica   to Puerto Escondido or Mazunte and then back up to Oaxaca. via Pochutla and north..

there are several textile villages along the coast and in the hill around Ometepec..and San Pedro Amusgo

Or take the road south of Puebla  and to to Guelatao where Benito Juárez was born via Ixtepec.

or go to Vera Cruz Boca del Rio visit Tlacotalpan the famous pueblo mágico , Unesco town then go down  to the Tuxtlas , Catemaco and then Ixtepec to Oaxaca via Guelatao.

Archived