Chapala.com Webboard
Sign in to follow this  
jimi57

Out of State Registration Process

Wanted to ask about registering a motorcycle i bought in San Luis Potosi and plate it here in Chapala/Jalisco.

I know for a fact, the office in Chapala will not help, however I just heard that perhaps the office in Jocotepec may be able to do the job.

Does anyone know for sure?

23 minutes ago, jimi57 said:

Does anyone know for sure?

How could anyone answer without knowing the reason that Chapala won't help?

• Sad 1

Hopefully someone can give you a good answer. In my 16 years experience in Mexico I have found the only real way to answer a question such as yours is to try it myself. Someone might have been turned down there yesterday or someone might have succeeded in doing it but that doesn't mean you will get the same result tomorrow. Just how Mexico seems to work and once you get over the frustration it becomes , in my case, funny and interesting. Viva Mexico!

I'll pop my head in this morning with all my paperwork and see how it goes.  And, the reason Chapala won't help is because the motorcycle was purchase in San Luis Potosi, outside the state of Jalisco... 

It is possible that you may have to go to SLP and turn in the plates, getting some kind of receipt and permit to take to Jalisco, where you may also have to go to Guadalajara for serious inspection of the vehicle, etc., etc.    Something like that, I think.

It may also be less complicated to take it back to SLP and sell it.

You do need some specific instructions from Recaudadora. Why not ask them for help and instructions.  In the office; not at the counter.

Chapala does require for a moto pictures of the front, back, and VIN plate. The first two is to verify that there are the required lights and mirrors. I had to supply that and a bunch of other stuff for a new moto with a factura that I bought direct from Italika, so I just got Spencer's staff to do it all.

Hi you have to take it to get validated to Guadalajara or Tonala. Since it is out of state you got to take vehicle and all paperwork. You can make appointment here http://sefinenlinea.jalisco.gob.mx/citas/

good luck