Chapala.com Webboard

Electricity off in the Raquet Club again

cedros

Electricity has been off in parts of the Raquet Club for 7 hours now. It is about the 12th time this year. No wind or rain. Does anyone know what the problem is and for how long it will last?

Most likely a tree or something else (telephone cable) is somewhere in the neighborhood pushing the cables together which are hanging in the street making a short and forcing one of those "cuchillos" at the transformers going down. Happened with our neighborhood too. We as neighbours had to point to someone of the CFE some of those problemspots so they could cut those trees or telephonecables so the cables didn't make any short anymore. Since then we hardly ever had problems anymore. So go walk around the neighborhood and and try to find those spots where trees or other cables are pushing down/up the electricity cables.

Yes, mine is back now after 9 1/2 hours. This is the worst it has been in years and our Board does nothing about it.

32 minutes ago, cedros said:

Yes, mine is back now after 9 1/2 hours. This is the worst it has been in years and our Board does nothing about it.

Why don't you  go to the office and ask them the location????

They may also know the cause

I think WE all are aware of total  irresponsibility  of the CFE to take preventive maintenance..Many of us living at Lakeside all suffer from the vulnerable locations etc.

Perhaps you can form a committee and present your concerns to CFE

Ha, I hope no one thought I was suggesting that this is something the CFE would check on their own. Seriously.

Oh, by the way, committees? These are looked upon askance by Mexicans, both bureaucrats and plebes. That is just an American answer to... everything.

1 hour ago, lakeside7 said:

Why don't you  go to the office and ask them the location????

They may also know the cause

I think WE all are aware of total  irresponsibility  of the CFE to take preventive maintenance..Many of us living at Lakeside all suffer from the vulnerable locations etc.

Perhaps you can form a committee and present your concerns to CFE

I was told that the office has been instructed not to talk about it.  Another problem-no one in the office speaks English well. We have been without a manager for over a year. The residents did send a petition to CFE in Mexico City in 2009 with 87 signatures. It did help for several years. A local "expert" says the problem is the sorry state of the CFE infrastructure not so much branches etc. 

5 minutes ago, daisy2013 said:

CFE will react with numerous calls.  This is each homeowners responsibility not a board.

Says who?

17 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

Can you imagine a Home Owner's Association NOB involving themselves with a power companies repair time?

I don't know if they would or not. You would think so but...... This morning I asked a neighbor, who has lived here for many years, if she had reported the power outage. She replied that she never reports them as they will look after it. By they I thought she meant the Board but maybe not.

Two residents I talked to today did not realize that they should report power outages. Maybe an education campaign is needed. As to the Board not getting involved. They are responsible for delivering water to the homes. If there is no electricity they can't.

When the electricity is off, most of our fancy dancy landlines don't work. That is the reason I bought an old fashioned phone at Walmart. No electricity, no problem. Dial 071 and report to CFE.

If someone could tell me how to report to CFE using a cell phone, I would really appreciate it.

I am only guessing, but wouldn't you dial the same number, 071?  If not it would be important for us to know. Remember that for example on often calls the green angles when driving and their # is 078 and how about 911. Wouldn't you just dial that #?

Ferret you asked a very important question, the answer of which we should all learn

I frequently have to call cfe for outages. Probably 25 times this year!

071 used to work on cel phone but this year it hasnt .

I bought a cheap plug in for these emergencies.how they expect you to write down a report number with phone in one hand, torch in the other trying to read your reference number  all in the dark i dont know.

The electricity is acting up again this morning. I have partial my neighbor has none. My cleaning ladies says it is because of all the Christmas lights being used!

1 hour ago, daisy2013 said:

I have spoken to CFE and they told me when many people from the same area call they react.  After all CFE is paid by each resident 

1 hour ago, daisy2013 said:

I have spoken to CFE and they told me when many people from the same area call they react.  After all CFE is paid by each resident 

That doesn't make a lot of sense but then it is CFE.

Not the same where I come from. If the problem is outside your property the electric company is responsible. Earlier this year the 4 houses on my street had no power all day. CFE refused to come so we had to hire an off duty CFE employee to fix it. It was a fuse high on one of their poles. It took 5 minutes to fix but we could not have done it.

22 minutes ago, cedros said:

Not the same where I come from. If the problem is outside your property the electric company is responsible. Earlier this year the 4 houses on my street had no power all day. CFE refused to come so we had to hire an off duty CFE employee to fix it. It was a fuse high on one of their poles. It took 5 minutes to fix but we could not have done it.

For your info Cedros, many  many years ago when people were more self reliant, in the Raquet  Club, Juan the  water guy had a long bamboo  stick and would go around re setting the "pop out" transformer  fuses

The "cure" was for the fuses to be replaced but CFE in their wisdom would not do this, even when residents offered to purchase new fuses.

Then when "things" became more organized the board stopped Juan.

My guess is that a significant amount of the disruption at Lakeside is similar,  The CFE prefer to continually come up and swing the old  fuse back in place, rather than replace with a new unit

Archived