Chapala.com Webboard

English language FM radio is back on

johanson

Great news, our snowbird friend from the greater Boston area has again activated his very low wattage FM repeater. He is transmitting on your FM radio at 107.1 FM.  His transmission site is somewhere in the greater Ajijic area and can only be received in that general area.

How can he do this? Well as long as the repeater is less than (I think) 2 watts, it is legal. He is retransmitting an internet feed of the Boston public radio station, WBUR

I noticed that the signal was not as strong where I live and drive to and from either. There is a chance that the snowbird providing this great service moved or perhaps there is a problem with his setup. I hope he reads this forum so if in fact there is a problem with the transmitting antenna or whatever, he can easily fix it.

Who ever you are sir, thank you very much for providing this service.

I just know that in the US, that low wattage repeaters are legal. I presume they are legal here as well. When I say low wattage, I am talking about a watt or 2, not 50,000 or so watts used by a radio station.

This a great hobbyist FM radio station equipment from the U.K. I had a 2 watt station and had a lot of fun with it. But when I saw those big Navy frigates patrolling the water front, and a friend who got a fine for flying the Mexican flag lower or equal to the U.S. flag - decided, not a good idea. I think a lot of the legality starts and stops when you accept paid commercials. I linked to their compressor, which is new to me, and important if you are playing a lot of MP3's at different bit rates. A small mixingboard, with a mike, and you are on the air. I used to listen to lot of old time music, no longer published, nor will it ever be again. All that is missing is a tropical moon, and the jellied gin.

http://www.veronica-kits.co.uk/limkit.htm

Well one thing I know is that this station is retransmitting NPR  (National Public Radio)  and the call sign is WBUR which is in Boston. US public radio stations do not accept or transmit paid commercials. So I guess that is not illegal especially because the wattage is so low. I'm guessing less than 1 or 2 watts.

Archived