Chapala.com Webboard

Feeling peeved

court0503

Wen to Chapala Town Hall today to hopefully track down the owner of the empty lot next to my house.  The lady at the information booth consulted with a second woman & I was handed a phone to discuss my issue with a gentleman who took my name, the address & my phone number who said he could meet me at my house. I questioned why this was necessary since he had the address in question etc.  he said OK & said he’d call me back so I left.   Shortly thereafter he called me back and said he was at my house .   I thought it was weird but he said he was there to discuss the information I was looking for and hey, things are done differently here so I told him I’d be home in a few minutes.  When I arrived he handed me his business card - realtor Monica Guitierrez with Lakeside Chapala Realty and offered to help me with this purchase ! his wife works at Town Hall and is apparently the woman with whom the information booth lady conferred.  As I explained to this realtor and later the owner of the agency I have no qualms with realtors, the valuable services they provide or folks in business being creative about getting new customers.  I DO have a problem with business people misreprenting themselves (he did not identify himself as a realtor on the phone ) and wasting my time .(I also doubt steering clients to her husband’s business is in the wife’s job description as a municipal employee! ) 

Since neither this realtor nor the owner seemed to have an issue with this bit of deception I’m sharing my experience for what it’s worth. 

You actually got someone to come to your home and assist you with finding the owner of the lot in question? I assume you wanted more than just a name but perhaps I'm assuming something that's not true. Personally, I would have been thrilled to get that type of info so quickly. I assume the realtor did not hold a gun to your head to sign a contract of sale. I'm guessing you either learned he is or is not interested in selling. If he is, you might want to consider purchasing if for no other reason than to prevent say, a body shop or carpentry shop next door? Always worth considering in Mexico.

" (I also doubt steering clients to her husband’s business is in the wife’s job description as a municipal employee! )  "

Welcome to Mexico.  But let's not fool ourselves and think that this kind of thing only happens there. Happens NOB a bunch. But then again remember... we are talking about Real Estate sales.

he didn’t provide any  ‘help’ ...   .

Since I hadn’t gone to Town Hall looking to hire an agent  my only issue is with his not being upfront & identifying himself  as a realtor during two phone calls&  convincing me to meet with him with a murky story.  If he’d simply explained he was a realtor , contacted by his wife a TH employee standing a few feet from me  & offered to be of assistance I could said thanks but not right now. other than the slimy feeling of being manipulated only harm was some wasted time - for both of us. 

One can dream though and In a perfect world (ha!)the realtor - and for sure the owner- might have said something like “gee, I’m sorry about the misunderstanding. we’ll try to clearer next time and I hope you’ll consider us if/when your needs change” 

Court0503 is correct here, and has every right to be peeved. Those chastizing should be admonished. These records are public, intentionally so, so that owners, contracters, and anyone else can uncover legally-important issues. Neighbours have every right to know what's what when water leaks, trees grow past their boundaries, illegal businesses are operating... the list goes on and on. And realtors and their lawyers are the main clients of these files. Lot boundaries are one thing here that are fought over in court constantly, and signing a lease or a purchase agreement requires strict adhesion to the information contained therein.

The woman that passed the info along is typical of the insiders' network, and should be fired for misrepresentation and using a government and public position to advance her husband's career. And he should be fired from his position with the realty company and blacklisted from ever working in the business again. These are shenanigans of the worst kind.

5 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

Your not NOB now.. Things work differently here..  You should be thrilled that you got someone to help you so quickly.. 

There is nothing "NOB" about the owner of a property being on public record. The OP did not state that he was looking to purchase the property- maybe he has an issue with something on that property which is affecting his property, or any of the things ComputerGuy mentioned above. Why would the woman at town hall assume he wanted to buy it and direct him to her husband who is a real estate salesman? OP was simply there to get the name and contact info of the property owner.

Something is amiss here.... the above Post quotes me, RickS, as having said that which is in bold print. I NEVER said that and don't know how that Post got associated with me!  In fact, I see no evidence that ANYONE said that is this thread.

Moderators.... what gives?

RickS

PER YOUR REPORT OF IT NOT BEING WRITTEN BY YOU THE QUOTE HAS BEEN REMOVED--MODERATOR 2

12 hours ago, mudgirl said:

There is nothing "NOB" about the owner of a property being on public record. The OP did not state that he was looking to purchase the property- maybe he has an issue with something on that property which is affecting his property, or any of the things ComputerGuy mentioned above. Why would the woman at town hall assume he wanted to buy it and direct him to her husband who is a real estate salesman? OP was simply there to get the name and contact info of the property owner.

This is a free service that lists all property owners and a history of the transfers of said property. You may also want to know if the property was previously used for a contaminating business or a graveyard. It would tell you if the property was held by an individual or by a trust or family, which might make a difference as to wanting to get involved .I would also be peeved if a government employee transferred me to a real estate salesperson without my knowledge instead of directing me to the proper desk to answer my inquiries. Most real estate people are "nice" as its their stock in trade...

Archived