Chapala.com Webboard

HP is blocking third-party ink again... and AGAIN

ComputerGuy

I posted about this last year. Shortly thereafter, due to numerous complaints, they pushed out a patch that disabled that blocker. Now they are doing it again, with a firmware update. So when you install a printer, make sure you look for the "Allow updates" and uncheck it. Should be able to find a similar setting in software that is already installed for HP printers, too.

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/09/14/hp-pushes-third-party-ink-blocking-printer-firmware-update-again/

Here is an opportunity for some enterprising attorney to file a class action suit against HP and any other that has this practice. It is really no different than requiring autos to be serviced at a dealer to maintain warranty and this was decided in court in the USA as illegal so there is a precedent.

John Deer is trying it now as well by requiring that the newer equipment be serviced only by factory reps. This has led farmers to complain that during harvest or planting that they can't afford to be down for 3 or 4 days. Farmers have started importing new factory JD parts and boards from overseas. JD says it voids their warranties.

I did hear that one printer company succumbed to a class-action suit... each of the registered defendants received $4 U.S. in reparations... no, not a typo. And recently, Epson was awarded a win against a class-action suit for some obnoxious technicality.

Pipe dream: companies that give a crap.

6 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

I did hear that one printer company succumbed to a class-action suit... each of the registered defendants received $4 U.S. in reparations... no, not a typo. And recently, Epson was awarded a win against a class-action suit for some obnoxious technicality.

Pipe dream: companies that give a crap.

The actual amount of award to customers isn't as important as the total including atty fees. They just need to know that customers are fed up with their stuff. I acutally voted already with my printer dollars and bought a Canon Laser that will take after market cartridges. Shoppers should always check cartridge prices when shopping for a printer. At Costco a couple of months ago there was a woman talking about a new HP printer with CHEAPER cartridges. I told NO luck they had already ruined their market as far as I'm concerned. 

I disagree. These are multi-billion dollar companies who scoff at settlements like this. They know perfectly well the issues, and the distrust, the user community has with their prices and products. So does HP.  They need to be punished, and they need to be forbidden to do things like this. And I know that will never happen.

"Check cartridge prices"? What good is that going to do? The market is a lock. Show your support by giving up on colour and getting a laser.

As said, class actions only help attorneys. There is a better way to go.

I would argue false, misleading and deceptive packaging. If you go to Google, you will see several videos where an ink cartridge is taken apart (legally termed "deconstructed") and how little of the sponge that holds the ink is saturated. When you get a cartridge, your mind sees/believes that the cartridge would be "substantially" filled to the available space. This doesn't mean the sponge needs to be saturated to the point of dripping, but when it's only say 25% to 35% saturated, then it's, IMO, false, misleading and deceptive.

Since I ditched cartridge printers several years ago for a Brother all-in-one unit (black only), I have been more than happy. And I never used color anyway, better to put a picture you want on a flash drive and take it to a shop and for $18.00 or less, get it printed.

Finally, without looking, I'm guessing that HP and the other cartridge sellers have, in their literature, a "forced" arbitration provision that says if you're not happy, you can't go to court or jain a class action. Just a guess.

I say ditch the cartridge and go a b/w, all-in-one. I got my Brother for under US$150.00 delivered, and you can refill your cartridge yourself. IMO, can't beat that.

If the manufacturer clearly stated on the external packaging something like "This printer only works with cartridges sold by us". "Other ones will not work". Then I could at least know that they are doing the same thing that many cellphone companies do in the US: They give you a "free" phone in return for you signing a 24 month contract and charging you buku dollars for something that costs them very little to provide. They have to recoup the cost of the phone somehow. Same with a printer that they sell for below their cost of production. Just tell me up front that you will get your money back on the ink. Then I can make an informed buying decision.  Example: Fry's today has an offer of an HP inkjet printer, All-in-one, for $39.99 with free shipping. Do I think they can sell that product for that price and ship it anywhere in the US and make a profit? No, I don't so if they would just honestly tell me how they are going to make money on me I would have no problem with that marketing strategy.

Archived