Chapala.com Webboard
Oregold

Date Palm Dying

I have a question for the knowledgeable gardeners of Ajijic.  I have a date palm that has been healthy until this year.  It is dying.  The fronds appear to be drying and the top of the tree is dying.  We hate to lose  it as it was a beautiful tree.  Does anyone know if there is a disease that affects the date palms and whether there might be any treatment?  If it becomes necessary to find another tree and wait for it to grow, is there a way to make sure that the disease does not occur in the replacement? 

Thank you for any help! 

I lost one and it turns out it was attacked by a large beetle that  ate the heart  out of it.. Can you hear a noise coming out of it'? My neighbor and had had to cut 2 beautiful treets. Call robert from Chapala treet service maybe he can do something before it is too late.

There is a horrible beetle killing our coco palms at the beach, and I suspect it is the same one. I emailed my friend who knows more than I do for more info. Also, this summer I saw evidence of "greening", the dreadful citrus disease brought to us by a Chinese wasp the size of a grain of pollen. Between the greening and the recent hurricane, Florida citrus is virtually dead. I smuggled Texas Ruby Red Grapefruit cuttings in here for years and had a beautiful healthy orchard until the greening started. I gave away so many bushels and it was such a pleasure......

I had the same thing. A larva looking bug in the heart of the palm. It's quite distressing to lose a large, apparently healthy tree this way. Get help, but it's likely that if the problem is so far advanced, you won't be able to save it.

Your information about the beetle and a bacterial infection carried by the beetle was correct.  You were also right about it being too late for the palm.  I was advised that while date palms are the most susceptible, other palms are at risk as well.  We're having the tree removed.  :-)

Thank you for your help. 

• Like 1

Sorry about that.. It is exactly what happened to us as well.. Did you see the beetle? A huge and scary thing..