Chapala.com Webboard

Black Friday at WalMart

ComputerGuy

Every year, I do a sanity check on prices. Up north, most of the deals are real. Down here, it's a "thing" the government instituted, and it can be hard to find the truth.

WalMart, who up north can afford both online and store discounts, has a different approach here at lakeside. I usually check the electronics. Today, they have a special order of 58" Samsung 4KTVs when you walk in the door. They have never had a 58" TV before, so how can a buyer tell if the price is a special one? There is no "Before" on the price tag. Research shows that buying that set here will cost approx $100 US more than buying it in the States. It actually costs less, at $14,500, than the Samsung or LG 51" sets already in the store, so it might seem like a good deal in comparison... but it is a new less-expensive line being offered by Samsung, so there is no easy way to tell.

For a few weeks now, Walmart has had a stack of 32" TVs on for $2,999, which is pretty much the standard price for an off-brand 32" anywhere. When I was in the store yesterday evening, all the prices had been taken down, and most of the staff was hand-writing new price signs. I'll be interested to see what those 32" sets go for now. Because last year, the put VENTA on 32" sets and priced them exactly the same as the weeks leading up to Black Friday.

In the linen section, they had stacks of better-looking towels than they usually have, but again, brought in specially for the sale, with no comparison prices on the tags.

At noon the Costco in PV was a madhouse of newly arrived snowbirds stocking up on the usual fare and many Mexicans buying electronics and appliances. With it being a 3 day weekend it was crazy. Got the bottled water I needed and a couple of other things and got out of there. They were sold out of the excellent cranberry sauce I got last week. Fresh, in the refrigerated section large and with whole berries, $139. If you see it and you like cranberry give it a try.

I was there about 11:30 and it was a zoo!!!!  Lots of stuff stacked really high because the need for floor space for Christmas stuff.  I saw at least a dozen newbies either walking around just looking at availability and prices.  Some were actually buying but had a deer-in-the-headlights look and seemed bewildered by the store in general.  I found several items that I used to buy there are not available anymore.  They obviously have a new store manager.

Archived