Chapala.com Webboard

Swimming pool chlorine generator

cedros

Raphael at the pool store just west of where the old El Serape restaurant can do this. His cell is 331-409-8051. I have had one for 9 years and know all the maintenance stuff. 

Thanks tomgates. I think my Aqua Rite Cl generator panel is acting up as it is showing salt levels that I think are higher than they really are. In the meantime I got some things to try from a swimming pool forum. If they don't work I'll try Rafael.

Thanks. I'm familiar with the two above. I have been to Rafael's store a number of times but have never bought anything as they either don't have what I want or they are much too expensive compared to other places. But I will try him again. I will e mail Carlos and see what he has to say. 

If you end up needing a new chlorinator know that you can buy one on Amazon US and have it shipped to Mexico. I built a salt water pool at a house at the beach and found that even with shipping and duty the total price for a Pentek model was far less than buying the same product locally. Same thing for a Pentek variable speed pump. Several hundred dollars less ordering from Amazon US.

Hopefully yours can be repaired but if not this is a good option for a replacement.

• 2 weeks later...

If it is control panel display, it is Hayward part GLX-PCB-DSP. Amazon US will not ship it to Mexico. I can have you ship it to my iShop address and you can pay some duty and shipping from Laredo. It is pretty lightweight. Let me know. I could even install it as it is pretty easy.

Thanks for the offer tomgates but that is not the part I need. I thought I found the exact one on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Rite-Circuit-Board-Replacement/dp/B00HWDTP0E/ref=sr_1_cc_5?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1511810282&sr=1-5-catcorr&keywords=aqua+rite but it turned out it was for a T-15 cell and mine is a T-9. It was quite similar and just over 3,200 pesos so they are taking care of it in the technical center in Guadlalajara. It will cost about 11,000 (ouch). They think it was burnt out by a power surge.  I have surge/brownout protection on the nearby pool pump so I will have to put a surge protector on my new control panel.

Un update.

An update on my salt water pool chlorine generator system. They (Tecno Agua) thought that my control panel had been burnt out probably by a power surge. So I got  a new one put in by some technical people in Guadalajara. Cost 11,000 pesos. Ouch!  I'm afraid to connect the new panel up until I get some surge protection  for it. I've asked 3 local electricians what could I use for surge for surge protection. The recommended the ISB Sola Basic Corrector de Voltaje for whole house surge protection. I've had those for years but apparently they do not protect against surges. They are just voltage regulators and only make small corrections in voltage but don't protect against surges.  
It is so frustrating not to be able to find local experts that are knowledgeable.
Thank goodness and it is too cool to want to swim. But I will need it fixed soon. Once again I ask if there are any experts on this out there.

Some voltage surges are spikes - like when your big pool pump motor kicks ON and then OFF - dumping noise & voltage spikes and dips onto the circuit.

Your  ISB Sola Basic Corrector de Voltaje  whole house unit does have a big coil-transformer that damps out some spikes on the line into the house from CFE - and that coil and the  ISB Sola Basic Corrector de Voltaje does give surge supression ...  but that whole house unit on the CFE input   ...  does not give good protection to delicate circuit boards out in your house that are getting nasty spikes from the pool pump - damaging spikes coming not from CFE, but from your pumps & motors..

Going one level deeper:  Are you sure that it was a surge or spike that cooked the pool-ionizer board?  .... What voltage do you measure out at the ionizer? ...  If that supply voltage out at the ionizer is above 133V or above 129V,  or below 107V,  that may be enough to slowly cook the board. ....  Surge supressors and voltage spike protectors do nothing to protect from too high   or too low voltage.

http://www.isbmex.com/fichas/REGULADOR DOMESTICO.pdf 

I have recently had to replace two different ISB Sola Basic Corrector de Voltaje  whole house units on a customer's house,  because they both failed ... on both 127V legs from CFE ... both incorrectly lowering 122V from CFE   down to a circuit board damaging 105V.

The control boards in both ISB Sola Basic Corrector de Voltaje  whole house units failed ...  still producing voltage,  but way out of spec. low.

If the line voltage at the ionizer board is in spec  (between 110V - 127V),   and it is stable (does not droop when  air conditioners or other motors like the pool pump are ON)  then you may need to install good surge~spike protection at the ionizer to keep spikes from the pool pump kicking ON & OFF from damaging the ionizer control.

1 hour ago, snowyco said:

Some voltage surges are spikes - like when your big pool pump motor kicks ON and then OFF - dumping noise & voltage spikes and dips onto the circuit.

Your  ISB Sola Basic Corrector de Voltaje  whole house unit does have a big coil-transformer that damps out some spikes on the line into the house from CFE - and that coil and the  ISB Sola Basic Corrector de Voltaje does give surge supression ...  but that whole house unit on the CFE input   ...  does not give good protection to delicate circuit boards out in your house that are getting nasty spikes from the pool pump - damaging spikes coming not from CFE, but from your pumps & motors..

Going one level deeper:  Are you sure that it was a surge or spike that cooked the pool-ionizer board?  .... What voltage do you measure out at the ionizer? ...  If that supply voltage out at the ionizer is above 133V or above 129V,  or below 107V,  that may be enough to slowly cook the board. ....  Surge supressors and voltage spike protectors do nothing to protect from too high   or too low voltage.

http://www.isbmex.com/fichas/REGULADOR DOMESTICO.pdf 

I have recently had to replace two different ISB Sola Basic Corrector de Voltaje  whole house units on a customer's house,  because they both failed ... on both 127V legs from CFE ... both incorrectly lowering 122V from CFE   down to a circuit board damaging 105V.

The control boards in both ISB Sola Basic Corrector de Voltaje  whole house units failed ...  still producing voltage,  but way out of spec. low.

Thanks for the information. My pool pump does not kick off and on. It comes on once a day when I turn it on.  Should my chlorine generating panel be off until the pump is going?

I'm just guessing at what cooked the board. I'll check the voltage somewhere on Monday. I don't

know what/where the ionizer is.

Failed  ISB Sola Basic Corrector de Voltaje !? Is nothing sacred. I sometimes wonder how useful they are if they don't protect against power surges or brownouts.

There's some additional background information about the (normally good) failed ISB Sola Basic Corrector de Voltaje units:that I did not mention ... They were badly abused before failing.... Before the voltage regulator failures, the customer had a year of a weak-failing neighborhood CFE transformer bouncing voltages up & down + another 6 months of occasional sparking of a poorly connected solar electrical system main feed into the home's main breaker panel.  As a result of the months of power problems, both of his ISB Sola Basic Corrector de Voltaje unit's control boards had their internal relays burned (from actuating and shutting off 1,000's of times) => burned out from overuse.

I hope your ISB Sola Basic Corrector de Voltaje units are fine - which would be proven by a simple voltage measurement out at the ionizer's electrical connection, to show that the voltages (on both L1 and L2 of your home) are between 115V - 128V.  ... Yes, I realize that CFE standards are 127V  +/- 12V,   but when CFE's voltages sit above 130V,  it can damage printers, microwaves & other poorly protected circuit boards, even when the owner has a lot of surge suppression,   because surge suppressors do nothing to remedy constantly too high ,... nor too low CFE voltage.  Your ISB Sola Basic Corrector de Voltaje units should be regulating any out of spec CFE voltages into a good range of 118V - 122V.

Implied in the above discussion is to also test your incoming CFE voltages on L1 & L2, before they enter the ISB Sola Basic Corrector de Voltaje units.

Archived