Chapala.com Webboard

Uber in Puerto Vallarta

pappysmarket

Our car is in the shop so today we took a cab downtown and then walked to the Mercado to do some shopping before heading home. The owner of the cremeria where we always shop mentioned we ought to get Uber to go home. I said we usually grab a cab outside when needed but today no hay. He whips out his phone,taps a few keys and says 2 minutes. Estimate was $37 and sure enough in 2 minutes a nice clean car pulls up and the driver grabs our stuff and put it in the trunk. He was not familiar with our condo building but his directions seemed to be getting us there so I just kept quiet. A/C car and a comfortable ride. Taxi is $50 or $60 depending on the driver and I always just pay $60 and never been hassled. The driver gave me his phone # and encouraged me to also put the Uber app on my phone which i have. I asked him if there were still problems with the taxi drivers and he said yes but they are slowly going away. I gave him $50 and he was happy. I just asked for an estimate to Costco and it said $42-55. Taxi always at least $80 but compared to lakeside that itself is much cheaper. I'll be trying this out but for anyone coming down it may well be a viable option now.

FYI the Uber vs. taxi driver issue may be going away in PV but a few short weeks ago 6 taxis swarmed an Uber driver in Sayulita. I happened to be right there, so saw it with my own eyes.They were blocking her and blocking the main entrance to town. Word is the taxi drivers here won't allow it.

If taxis hadn't abused their monopoly, there would be no need for competition. A nice late model car, with a/c, and no cheating on the route beats a beater taxi with no a/c. I have read about the dishonest taxis in PV that take you to their buddy's restaurant and not the one you wanted to go to. 

Archived