Chapala.com Webboard

Today’s experience registering for Seguro Popular

court0503

I encountered conflicting information on line so to share my own experience today:

-  you cannot sign up in San Antonio  you must go to the Centro de Salud in Chapala  - directions below ( I tried SAT first based on some incorrect and/or dated postings) 

- once in the Cento building ,  walk into the waiting room straight ahead and the sign up window is to your left along the wall,  there’s a big sign over the window & the 4 required documents for foreigners/extranjeos are posted on a sign on the wall to the left of the window

I brought two copies of each document , just in case.  No original documents were requested though  I brought them with me , again just in case.

- copy of passport 

-copy of  Residente Permanente

- copy of CURP (mine is an 8  1/2 x 11 paper , not a card)

-copy of  proof of address ie Telmex or CFE bill (doesn’t have to be in your name) or rental lease 

FYI a bank statement showing your address is not acceptable 

- it was a  quick and easy process , at 11:30am there was 1 lady  in front of me , I waited tops 5 minutes for my turn.  The clerk then took maybe 5minutes to complete her data entry work, handed me my Seguro Popular document (“Poliza  de Afiliacion”)  & I was done

-  Assuming you have the right documents in hand no Spanish skills required.  No questions were asked of me except to request my signature (“firma”)  The clerk did not speak any English however so if things did get messy for you for some  reason having a Spanish speaker along might be comforting

Directions to  Chapala Cento de Salud

Coming from the west  Go down Carreterra into Chapala, turn left at light and go one block past Flavio Romero which is one way.  Turn right on next block where the Bus Station is and go all the way down to the end. (which is quite a few blocks) Turn right and then right again on Flavio Romero.  Centro de Salud is 3-4 blocks , on the left side. It’s a low white building , set back a bit from them road with  “Centro de Salud” written in large letters on the side of the building.  Street side parking only .  

I signed up last year. Procedure exactly as described. Just wanted to note that my husband is disabled and was not able to come with me. But I had his documents and they gave me a Seguro Popular document for both of us. 

No booklet required now.  No visit to clinic to get started required  now.  Just take a copy of the info they give you at the moment of signing up to the clinic or hospital next time you need medical help. There is sometimes a nurse at the Chapala facility who is there to check blood pressure, blood sugar level, etc. if it appears the person signing up might have a medical problem that needs to be on file.  Anything that nurse makes note of will not disqualify you from getting coverage.  I have been to the clinic in Ajijic (Seis Esquinas) and don't recommend trying to see a doc there for any minor thing.  Those clinics are there for locals who truly have no other choice.  As gringos, we usually have the resources to pay out of pocket for minor health issues and the S.P. clinic is a crowded and chaotic place that most gringos will not have the inclination to endure.

Alan

My spouse and I signed up for S P last spring.  Having little Spanish and difficulty understanding due to hearing problems, we hired Luzma Grande to take us to Chapala and handle the exchanges at the window.  (Luzma IS great and works out of the real estate rental office just west of Gossips in Ajijic)  A three year policy was issued.

Haven't been to their clinic; it's a backup plan to paying out of pocket for doctor visits and drugs.  Serious and expensive stuff:  would use SP.

Pre-existing conditions are covered.

Yes you do need the booklet "CARTILLA NACIONAL DE SALUD" . You need to get copies of your contract "POLIZA DE AFLIACION"  across the street is a place to get copies. Then take your original and copies to the window that is on your right just as you enter the building where you will get the booklet. You will then be taken or told to go to the office which is on the right hand side across from the window. If the door is closed just knock and open and go in straight in front of you is the desk where the women will issue you your number and enter you in the system.

Every time you go to a clinic or hospital you need to bring copies of your "POLIZA DE AFLIACION" and the booklet "CARTILLA NACIONAL DE SALUD". If you go to say a public hospital and are admitted you will also be given a booklet "TARJETAS DE CITAS" and every time you go to that hospital you must bring all your paperwork and all booklets as well as numerous copies of your"POLIZA DE AFLIACION"  as well as copies of your "PERMANENTE VISA".

Have been to two hospitals and learning what you need to do each time. So get a plastic holder which the Mexicans do to keep all your paperwork and copies in. Just remember 'DO NOT GIVE YOUR ORIGINAL "POLIZA DE AFLIACION"

Good Luck

Archived