Chapala.com Webboard

Mexican car safety features

cybertramp

Hi, 

We have purchased a home here at lakeside. 

Our current car is too new to import.

I'd like to know where to find information on which 2017 or 2018 car made in Mexico has the most advanced safety features.  Blind spot and collision avoidance protection are particularly important to us.  Google searches were unsuccessful.

TIA

Sharon & Frank 

https://www.google.com.mx/amp/s/www.wired.com/2011/07/active-safety-systems-could-create-passive-drivers/amp

Collision mitigation systems won't let us collide in the ways we're used to, Reimer said, but they may let us collide in ways we aren't. Automatic braking has the potential to nearly eliminate rear-end collisions, and lane-departure warning could drastically reduce the instance of side-swipe and merging collisions. But how human drivers react to, and rely upon, these technologies could create new, unseen problems.

We recently purchased a new 2017 Kia Sportage from the KIA Gallerias dealership.  We can't believe the technology this car offers and the safety features.  I encourage you to check them out. We compared KIA with Hyundai, Honda and Mazda and were impressed with all of the brands and the dealerships.

Good luck!

Valerie :)

Just a little humor..I purchased a 2016 Nissan Tsuru. My golden retreiver handles the blind spots and to avoid collisions I only drive when ALL Mexicans are off the road. The Tsuru is a very safe car, it has an impact crumple zone which happens to be the entire car!

My advice regardless of the car you purchase is drive defensively in this country.

Enjoy your Sunday 

4 hours ago, cybertramp said:

I'd like to know where to find information on which 2017 or 2018 car made in Mexico has the most advanced safety features.

Look at: https://www.autocosmos.com.mx/nuevos and/or type into your browser search the car brand plus Mexico. All the brands here have a website with product information and prices. You do not get a list of options, just models with listed equipment. You will pay the MSRP with no haggle, but the prices are lower than NOB and include tax.

Oh and I forgot to mention, Sunday afternoons, the Mexicans switch to auto pilot which in tech terms is called tequila. I drive the Libriamento on a regular basis mainly for school runs and a couple of months back I counted 3 fatalities in the space of 2 weeks or so. Maybe I should start a little business selling road side crosses ready to go....

48 minutes ago, HoneyBee said:

Just a little humor..I purchased a 2016 Nissan Tsuru. My golden retreiver handles the blind spots and to avoid collisions I only drive when ALL Mexicans are off the road. The Tsuru is a very safe car, it has an impact crumple zone which happens to be the entire car!

My advice regardless of the car you purchase is drive defensively in this country.

Enjoy your Sunday 

‘ all Mexicans are off the road ‘?  .  A little harsh don’t you think ?  I was taught to drive  

‘ defensively ‘ in ANY country.    

18 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

Look at: https://www.autocosmos.com.mx/nuevos and/or type into your browser search the car brand plus Mexico. All the brands here have a website with product information and prices. You do not get a list of options, just models with listed equipment. You will pay the MSRP with no haggle, but the prices are lower than NOB and include tax.

The prices may be lower than NOB if the car is made in Asia and the currency exchange is between the peso and the carmaker's currency, not the US dollar.  Also, many safety items required in the US and Canada will be absent from the car either made in Mexico or another country strictly for sale in Latin America.

Most or perhaps all of the new car dealers in Guadalajara have a web site. Prices for cars are fixed so shopping dealers is not part of the process. Normally there will be a description of the features for each carthey sell. Most models have only 1 or 2 options available as opposed to all the add-on packages available in the States.

We recently bought a new Honda Pilot at Vanguardia Honda on Gonzalez Gallo. The salesman knew his product and answered all of our questions. In the US there are 5 models available. In Mexico there is one, the Touring. Complicating matters further, the features on the Mexican Touring don't match to the US.

I sure got hoodwinked when I bought a 2017 Nissan that was made in Mexico and that had every conceivable option, like airbags, electric windows, automatic climate control, sport suspension, reverse camera, GPS navigation, and a killer stereo for $10,800 USD. NFW can one get anything close to that NOB.

Cybertramp I seriously recommend you go thru S&S Auto for your new car.  I have the ability and experience to work through a dealer in Spanish and I still go through S&S.   I wouldn’t represent myself in court, I wouldn’t self-diagnose, nor buy a house unaided.  I buy a new car every year or two and highly value S&S.   

1 hour ago, AngusMactavish said:

I sure got hoodwinked when I bought a 2017 Nissan that was made in Mexico and that had every conceivable option, like airbags, electric windows, automatic climate control, sport suspension, reverse camera, GPS navigation, and a killer stereo for $10,800 USD. NFW can one get anything close to that NOB.

Nissan ‘what’ though?  $10,800 US would be a killer price for a Murano-type Nissan but no so much for a Tsuru. 

4 minutes ago, RickS said:

Nissan ‘what’ though?  $10,800 US would be a killer price for a Murano-type Nissan but no so much for a Tsuru. 

A March SR NAVI. Try buying any car NOB for anywhere close to the list price I paid.

VA_630b88232d6241f7b331a8858de69f6e.jpg

If you use S&S he will only want you to buy from the dealers he gets a kick back from... If you shop around you will get a much better deal than if you use S&S. The dealers in Guad will deliver the car right to your door and spend as much time as you need going over the vehicle with you....

But if you want the convenience of someone else doing the work for and don't mind paying for the convenience then go ahead and use S&S.

Hi, Much good advice and very appreciated. 

I just spoke with Spencer of S & S. He advises Kia has the most safety features for a non luxury car. He states that Kia does have collision avoidance and blind spot detection. 

I will be returning to lakeside to close on our home this January. I will get a quote from Spencer and then  try my negotiating skills at a dealer in Guad. 

Thanks again to all

Sharon & Frank 

Archived