Chapala.com Webboard

Perry's Pizza

ned small

No he doesn't miss his lost sheep. Like I said before he taught them how and his pizza is just fine now,actually it's the best here and he delivers. So my friend and his wife and I being from Edmonton are Oilers fans too and they invited me down for the game last night and a Perry's Pizza done the way our famous Tony's in Edmonton does it which is annually voted the best pizza joint in Edmonton and once was also in the top 6 in the world in another contest. Super pizza and the Oilers won the game too.

Actually, I have seen several posts that were very specific about his product and detailed how it and his service had gone down hill. It has been a while since he has been mentioned so perhaps he is back on track. I enjoyed his pizza the few times I had it there. However, since several quality places opened up much closer to me I have no need to drive out to his location. There is enough pizza business to go around for places offering excellent quality and service.

51 minutes ago, barbara habacht said:

It would seem that most complaints come from a few folks that believed his political beliefs did not match theirs...so they attacked his food product. We eat there every few weeks and have never been unhappy.

Fred Habacht

How did you come up with that "most complaints" all-encompassing statement? That kind of speculation needs some backup.

I, for one, don't give a dang about his politics or anyone else's.  It's entirely about the food.   IMO, his pizza went downhill from what he was serving me in the beginning.  Naturally, that's a very subjective opinion.  Other pizzerias have apparently been offering products that some people like better, and I'm betting their taste buds aren't influenced by politics, either.

Personally, I'd prefer not to know the political leanings of the restaurateurs I patronize.  If I do know, it's because they don't have the good sense to be silent on that hot button subject in a diverse community. The old rule; no religion or politics at the dinner table applies here.

12 minutes ago, gringal said:

How did you come up with that "most complaints" all-encompassing statement? That kind of speculation needs some backup.

I, for one, don't give a dang about his politics or anyone else's.  It's entirely about the food.   IMO, his pizza went downhill from what he was serving me in the beginning.  Naturally, that's a very subjective opinion.  Other pizzerias have apparently been offering products that some people like better, and I'm betting their taste buds aren't influenced by politics, either.

Personally, I'd prefer not to know the political leanings of the restaurateurs I patronize.  If I do know, it's because they don't have the good sense to be silent on that hot button subject in a diverse community. The old rule; no religion or politics at the dinner table applies here.

His pizza has been consistently the same since he opened even when he trained others to make it. Perhaps something has happened to your tastebuds downhillwise.

The only time I do not eat my pizza at Perry's is when I am too lazy to drive there or when others rave about the "new place". I have tried many and none comes close to his. Pizza is like religion and BBQ, each has their own, but if you want a pizza as close to what is served in the middle of the US, Perry's is it.

He also has daily specials that are a real treat, like Kung Pao chicken on Wednesdays. Much better than the Asian places serve.

1 hour ago, ned small said:

His pizza has been consistently the same since he opened even when he trained others to make it. Perhaps something has happened to your tastebuds downhillwise.

One of the guys that left was with him from the beginning.  Perry's Pizza varied a lot in the first year.  Then he got it right with the help of his employee who had experience in the Pizza business, Perry had none.  Shortly after he moved to his present location the quality decline commenced.  The first thing I noticed was lower grade sausage and Pepperoni.  Then came the inconsistant baking.  I learned which cooks did it right and went there only on those nights but tired of the low quality ingredients and sought other local purveyors.

7 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

So, the fairly expansive number of people on this Webboard who have said that Perry's quality has gone downhill... they have all lost their tastebuds, is that it?

Sure,why not this is like Salem south on occasion,is it not,with all the same suspects?

6 minutes ago, ned small said:

Sure,why not this is like Salem south on occasion,is it not,with all the same suspects?

It is all the same suspects, “Ned.” Only sometimes the names are changed to protect.... Well, you know. I hope you and “your friend “ and, uh, your “friend’s” wife continue to enjoy the consistently fine Perry’s pizza. He really does deserve you. 

When Perry started here, he had no one. He did it all himself. He told us that first week that he had a restaurant in PV or somewhere. He was trying to make a name for himself with clam chowder and fish and chips. Later, he had the oven built, because he saw a future in doing the pizza right.

1 hour ago, zerbit said:

Never saw the reason for the raves on his pizza. Had it once at the old Gdlpe Vic location and that was enough. But that's just me. I get my pizza fix when I'm NOB and can get one I like. Same for burgers, BBQ, pastrami  and Chinese food. 

That's one  seriously expensive way to get what you like.  ;)

Those of us who expect to live out our lives in Mexico without frequent U.S. "fixes" adjust our habits and tastes to what is available right here.  There's plenty of good food .  I just had a delicious sirloin burger at a local restaurant for lunch.  Pizza taste is very individual, but mine is based on whether it has quality ingredients. When a pizza place lowers that element, it's over for me. Chinese food?  What I used to get in San Francisco? Nah. If I get  an occasional need for a pot sticker fix,  Chopsticks will do the job.  Emma's Deli has a quite respectable pastrami sandwich.

If I were too often longing for what I left behind, I'd pack up and go back, but after over a dozen years here and only one fast trip NOB for a funeral, that won't happen.  YMMV.

Never understood what all the fuss was about on Pizza.

To me the choices are simple.  Go to Perry’s and order your favorite pizza.  Then, a few days later, go to M & J and order the same pizza. Compare the taste, prices, service, etc. and make your decision.  I once heard a great pizza chef say, there is no good or bad Pizza. Just your preference.  What I love, you may hate. Different people like, thin crust, thick crust, deep dish, New York style, etc

only you can decide 

33 minutes ago, Big Bird said:

To me the choices are simple.  Go to Perry’s and order your favorite pizza.  Then, a few days later, go to M & J and order the same pizza. Compare the taste, prices, service, etc. and make your decision.  I once heard a great pizza chef say, there is no good or bad Pizza. Just your preference.  What I love, you may hate. Different people like, thin crust, thick crust, deep dish, New York style, etc

only you can decide 

I think that’s what most people do. We eat pizzas from various place until we find The One. Or we may have more than one we return to. I will disagree that there is no bad pizza. Cheap ingredients carelessly prepared and over or under baked make for a bad pizza.

1 hour ago, Big Bird said:

only you can decide 

Gosh, Big Bird, I never woulda thought of that! Why, this way of thinking could change my whole life. Holy cow. Imagine: comparing the same item at different places! I am going to take this one step further, with your permission, and apply the same logic next time I buy a fridge or a car or a computer. Oh, my, I can hardly wait.

“He said that his new chef is experienced and works cheaper that the old one(s) due to less time on the job.”

Now, there’s a ringing endorsement from the owner for the new cook: he has less experience so he works cheaper. This explains so much. 

3 minutes ago, Xena said:

“He said that his new chef is experienced and works cheaper that the old one(s) due to less time on the job.”

Now, there’s a ringing endorsement from the owner for the new cook: he has less experience so he works cheaper. This explains so much. 

Hahaha, yes that does explain it all and Perry proudly proclaiming it says even more.

Archived