Chapala.com Webboard

Comforters and Duvets Available Lakeside or in Guad?

Two things: one, I think we are all adults, thus we are all aware what department stores do. This is Mexico, and if you've lived here for a minute, you know that at lakeside, we don't exactly have a diverse selection of department stores until one goes into Guadalajara. Other posters have already named the basic choices we have.

Two: "just like other countries" is wildly subjective. I only know Canada, the U.S., Barbados, and Mexico. But I do know that Mexico is not just like other countries, and even when you hit the big department stores in Guadalajara, you won't necessarily find any joy. "100% cotton" is not a common phrase in the beddings and linens department. It can take some pretty healthy scouring to find what you want, compared to the ease of shopping for these kinds of things north of the border.

So, you were either being very funny, or you were completely unaware.

So here's another FWIW comment........I was in Costco PV this morning and in the main aisle leading to the meat section I noticed a display of King Sheets. Brand was Kirkland, puro algodon, (100% Cotton) and priced at $1999. Probably at many if not all Mexico Costcos.

The CostCos in Guad have had 100% cotton sheets for a long time, many years, but they are always sateen. It would be nice if they did away with that uncomfortable and overly-hot style. They were certainly weren't close to $2,000p, though, so maybe things are changing. I have also looked for years for cotton comforters there and have never gotten lucky. Cotton mattress covers, yes.

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

The CostCos in Guad have had 100% cotton sheets for a long time, many years, but they are always sateen. It would be nice if they did away with that uncomfortable and overly-hot style. They were certainly weren't close to $2,000p, though, so maybe things are changing. I have also looked for years for cotton comforters there and have never gotten lucky. Cotton mattress covers, yes.

I agree with that, sateen is horrible. These did not look sateen but I did not open a package to feel them.

Computer Guy, you offered no suggestions to the OP.  You were insulting and there was no reason to denigrate my shopping suggestions. The OP asked about options locally and in Guadalajara. Liverpool, Francia, Sears, The Home Store, and Zara Home all have 100% cotton sheets.

16 hours ago, Prudent said:

Computer Guy, you offered no suggestions to the OP.  You were insulting and there was no reason to denigrate my shopping suggestions. The OP asked about options locally and in Guadalajara. Liverpool, Francia, Sears, The Home Store, and Zara Home all have 100% cotton sheets.

I am sorry your sensitivities were insulted. I did not denigrate your suggestions; apparently you were so insulted you didn't really read my post. I tried to explain carefully to you why I didn't like your answer or think it was helpful. I should have just come right out and said what I thought.

I didn't offer him any more suggestions; I didn't need to: they had all been made.

I have found excellent high quality bedding through a new conglomerate of online merchants, called borderfree.  One of their outlets is called garnet hill.  Borderfree specializes in international business and your shipment will arrive in a week.  I found the selection and quality better than even what you would find in Guadalajara, unless there is some specialty store I don't know about.  I find Liverpool mediocre.

I came across BorderFree a couple of days ago.  How do they deliver inside Mexico?  DHL, Mexican post, or ????    I am curious that you say the order will be delivered in a week, since from what I read, once they get an order, they have to go buy it from the vendor, process and ship.  A week is pretty fast and their web site makes no such representation. But it is nice to read that you had good luck with them.  Thanks. 

On 11/9/2017 at 8:56 AM, ComputerGuy said:

Very funny.

I was really not trying to be sarcastic. I have bought bed linens and bras in 12 different countries so I know something about shopping challenges.

i decided to take the easiest course and keep my life simple. I always start at the largest local department store. Chapala and Ixtlahuacan both have department stores. I know Coppel looks like an appliance store, but it has two more levels. 

Then I check out a large mall, and Guadalajara has excellent malls. I might be able to find something cheaper another way, but if I want to buy bedding for one room I would rather keep my life simple.

I think about the time I wanted to buy a flashlight in Singapore. Where? I asked. The answer, KMart. Moving is challenging enough. I was just suggesting that the posters try the obvious solutions first. 

I'm Canadian and I've lived full time in Mexico for 21 years. I don't bypass local businesses EVER but I've learned through lots and lots of experience that they rarely have what I'm looking for.... like the transfer pump that I just got through Amazon in the States. I must have searched locally and online in Spanish for hours. It gets frustrating.

Archived