Chapala.com Webboard

used mexican plated vehicle purchase

sunshine1

When buying a used Mexican plated vehicle from an individual, do the existing plates stay with the car or does one have to get new plates.

If new plates are required, where is that done..... Having asked this, what is the procedure for taking ownership of the vehicle (re licence, etc.....)  I know that original factura is a must, but what else needs to be done....

Go to the recaudadora office, prefferably with the seller, to be sure there are no leins or tickets against the car. If all is well, pay him and pay the recaudadora fees to get the transfer done and all of the correct papers, including the original factura.  The plates stay with the car.  It is wise to insist that the seller get a current anti-pollution sticker, if it is not already in evidence and the paperwork provided to you.  The recaudadora will issue a tarjeta de circulacion in your name.  It is all quite easy.

Hola Sonia: Just read your very informative, and comprehensive, instructions on buying and registering a car in Mexico. I currently own a Jaliso plated car (I am a RP) and am moving to the state of Morelos in January. Do you know if I need to buy new plates for the car there? Is there a problem with cars being targeted for tickets or theft when they have out of state plates? These are questions I have not been able to find answered on this or other sites. If you don't know, could you please point me to the right government office to ask?

Many thanks, as always

13 hours ago, IMBurnen said:

Hola Sonia: Just read your very informative, and comprehensive, instructions on buying and registering a car in Mexico. I currently own a Jaliso plated car (I am a RP) and am moving to the state of Morelos in January. Do you know if I need to buy new plates for the car there? Is there a problem with cars being targeted for tickets or theft when they have out of state plates? These are questions I have not been able to find answered on this or other sites. If you don't know, could you please point me to the right government office to ask?

Many thanks, as always

The legal answer is you need to turn the plates in at a Jalisco Rentas office and obtain Baja de Vehiculos. In Morelos this is what I would have and expect (every state is a little different) ....  proof your refrendo is paid for current year, have a physical inspection, local utility bill, factura from when vehicle was new, Morelos' driver's license. The last two should have same address. 

• 2 weeks later...

Will I need to retake a driver's test to obtain a Morelos license? How long do I have to accomplish all this? Also, I can't turn in my plates until I reach Morelos as I was told I couldn't drive without them. Very confusing! Thanks for this bit of clarity and any other advice you can offer-something between the "required" and the "possible"! Thanks Sonia

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2017 at 12:14 PM, IMBurnen said:

Will I need to retake a driver's test to obtain a Morelos license? How long do I have to accomplish all this? Also, I can't turn in my plates until I reach Morelos as I was told I couldn't drive without them. Very confusing! Thanks for this bit of clarity and any other advice you can offer-something between the "required" and the "possible"! Thanks Sonia

I am sorry I do not know requirements in Morelos but most states if you turn in a license from another MX state then no test. The Baja de Vehiculos allows you to drive for a brief time with no plates. 

Morelos is a beautiful state and we love Cuernavaca, the city of eternal spring and better weather may not be possible to find in all of Mexico. 

Archived