Chapala.com Webboard

ReSound hearing aids

Lexy

18 hours ago, Lexy said:

I know there's quite a few of you who use hearing aids.  Does anyone use or have experience with ReSound hearing aids. What do  you think of them?

Lexy

There is a rich mine of information on Google re the ReSound hearing aids, including customer reviews. 

This is my general experience after wearing hearing aids for years:  being genetically programmed to go deaf in middle age, I've had a variety of hearing aids, both in the US and Mexico, and I find the in-the-ear, but not "down the canal" type most comfortable.  People who spend a lot of time on the phone often prefer the "down the canal" type, but they are hard to get used to.  You'll want the option of changing the volume easily. 

One of the most important factors is ease of access to getting them "tweaked", which is a fairly frequent event.  For those who, like me, don't enjoy a trip to Costco in Guadalajara for this, the most convenient place to buy and get the aids serviced is at Polo Gonzalez' office at LCS. (You don't need to be an LCS member.)  He comes in on Mondays and there is a sign up sheet in the hallway in the back offices area. He's very competent at doing repairs on the spot and has excellent testing equipment. I don't know if he carries the ReSound brand. If you buy the hearing aids elsewhere and need repairs, they are whisked away and may be returned weeks later.  This happened to me in the states and since I was fairly helpless without them,  I needed to buy a second set for use during those repair periods.

BTW, those tiny batteries need to be replaced every week to ten days.  The best deal is ordering them from Costco in the big sheet quantity (I think 40 per sheet).  The delivery services people can get them even if they aren't on their online order list.

IMO, the problem with asking about a particular brand of hearing aide is that.... "no one size fits all". One person can sing the praises of a particular brand/model and their next door neighbor will cuss them.

Having said that, ReSound is a reputable maker of aides and is surely on the forefront. There are others also. I recently got new aides from Costco (NOB) and tried one of the ReSound models and a Siemens product sold under the Rexton name. FOR ME, the Siemens model I tried was better. That does not mean that the ReSound model was bad.... the technician said most people picked the ReSound one.... but just that for me it was not.

At Costco, a ReSound aide has garnered their "Kirkland Signature 7" notation for premium aides for several years. But this year the Siemens/Rexton model takes that honor. I think that they are similar in price. I paid, NOB, $1,700 for the pair. Very satisfied.

P.S. I just bought a 'sheet' of 48 batteries at Costco NOB and paid $8.xx, so similar to what CG said they are in Guadalajara.

33 minutes ago, RickS said:

IMO, the problem with asking about a particular brand of hearing aide is that.... "no one size fits all". One person can sing the praises of a particular brand/model and their next door neighbor will cuss them.

Having said that, ReSound is a reputable maker of aides and is surely on the forefront. There are others also. I recently got new aides from Costco (NOB) and tried one of the ReSound models and a Siemens product sold under the Rexton name. FOR ME, the Siemens model I tried was better. That does not mean that the ReSound model was bad.... the technician said most people picked the ReSound one.... but just that for me it was not.

At Costco, a ReSound aide has garnered their "Kirkland Signature 7" notation for premium aides for several years. But this year the Siemens/Rexton model takes that honor. I think that they are similar in price. I paid, NOB, $1,700 for the pair. Very satisfied.

P.S. I just bought a 'sheet' of 48 batteries at Costco NOB and paid $8.xx, so similar to what CG said they are in Guadalajara.

Rick--I agree  with the no one size fits all,  but   still this feedback is helpful and   interesting.

I recently  bought the Costco/Kirkland batteries for my current hearing aids. I browsed the Shopping Cart posted by the new Costco delivery service and ordered them that way. BTW, the latest Costco service is   called Lakeside Shopping Service. Three young people in Ajijic run it and they are  terrific.

Up North I live less than 4 miles from Costco store #1, and purchased a different brand of hearing aids maybe six years ago where the batteries were rechargeable. One of my hearing aids failed and so I upgraded to the Bluetooth ReSound hearing aids 14 months ago; which means I can link them to an App on my iPhone or control several settings on a hand held very small remote control. I suspect ReSound sells several types of hearing aids, or the same model with different options

They work great for me. But to each his own

If you are looking at ReSound, considering adding the purchase of their Minimic.  It's a small device that you can clip to the collar of your dining partner to make restaurant conversations possible.  It can also attach to your tv to transmit the audio to the hearing aids.  It allows the person with the h.a. to adjust to the necessary volume while the non h.a. person can set the volume at their comfort level.  The last time I discussed h.a. with Pollo, he wasn't aware of the benefits of this accessory.

13 hours ago, gringal said:

There is a rich mine of information on Google re the ReSound hearing aids, including customer reviews. 

This is my general experience after wearing hearing aids for years:  being genetically programmed to go deaf in middle age, I've had a variety of hearing aids, both in the US and Mexico, and I find the in-the-ear, but not "down the canal" type most comfortable.  People who spend a lot of time on the phone often prefer the "down the canal" type, but they are hard to get used to.  You'll want the option of changing the volume easily. 

One of the most important factors is ease of access to getting them "tweaked", which is a fairly frequent event.  For those who, like me, don't enjoy a trip to Costco in Guadalajara for this, the most convenient place to buy and get the aids serviced is at Polo Gonzalez' office at LCS. (You don't need to be an LCS member.)  He comes in on Mondays and there is a sign up sheet in the hallway in the back offices area. He's very competent at doing repairs on the spot and has excellent testing equipment. I don't know if he carries the ReSound brand. If you buy the hearing aids elsewhere and need repairs, they are whisked away and may be returned weeks later.  This happened to me in the states and since I was fairly helpless without them,  I needed to buy a second set for use during those repair periods.

BTW, those tiny batteries need to be replaced every week to ten days.  The best deal is ordering them from Costco in the big sheet quantity (I think 40 per sheet).  The delivery services people can get them even if they aren't on their online order list.

Yes he carries the resound brand. My husband just got it to today. So after 6 hrs...working well.  BTW...not cheap

Archived